24185RE: Phantom double-quote (") character appearing in clip output

  • ritesaid_10
    Nov 18 4:13 PM

      Thanks for the advice Ian, yes I agree, the syntax of the JS does look incorrect but it has to be that way for the script I am referencing to function.

      I actually found a solution before I read your post. All I had to do was split the code up a bit and have a couple of ^!InsertHtml lines.

      What the script does is pop up a message when you either hover or click on a hyperlink. The pop-up message has a hyperlink in it also 'http://www.google.com' in this case, or what ever the user enters. The "Where can I find stuff" part is the hyperlink text which activates the pop-up.

      This is the script reference which appears within the <head></head> tags:

      <script type="text/javascript" src="overlib.js"></script>

      This is also required within the <body></body> tags:

      I am still a relative newbie to clip code, but I will definitely start making use of variables which would make for much cleaner and easier to debug code.

      Thanks again

      ---In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, <indiamcq@...> wrote:

      I'd declare the variables first, just for readability
      ^!set %activate%=^?[(T=C)How will pop-up be activated?==_onMouseover|onClick]
      ^!set %google%=^?[Link URL?=http://www.google.com]

      I'd take out the style attribute and use a class and css instead.
      I don't use ^!inserthtml, I tend to use ^!appendtofile. Id break it up so it is on different lines with multiple ^!inserthtml for readability.

      The issue at hand:

      onmouseover="return overlib('<a href=\'http://www.google.com\'"
      Is a valid attribute structure.

      Though the JavaScript seems to be missing a closing ) or is the following stuff part of the JS? I don't speak JS much.

      Try  ^!inserttext to see if the result is different.

      On 19/11/2013 5:54 AM, fredmorris66@... wrote:

      Take a look at the output from the clip below, the double-quote symbol at the end of the URL should not be there. 'http://www.google.com\'". But I can't for the life of me get rid of it. Nowhere in the clip am I asking for it to be inserted, and the javascript that I am referencing will not run correctly with it there!!!

      Anyone got any ideas? Is this a hidden bug? Or am I missing something?

      Clip code:

      ^!InsertHtml <A style="text-decoration: none" href="javascript:void(0);"^?[(T=C)How will pop-up be activated?==_onMouseover|onClick]="return overlib('<a href=\'^?[Link URL?=http://www.google.com]\'>^?[Link description?]</a>', STICKY, ^?[(T=C)Orientation in relation to mouse pointer?==CENTER|LEFT|_RIGHT], ^?[(T=C)Above or below the link text?==_BELOW|ABOVE]) "onMouseOut="return nd();">^?[Link Text]</A>

      Thanks in advance

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic