24170Counting html tags

  • John Shotsky
    Nov 16, 2013

      I have a routine to count opening and closing html tags, such as <p> and </p>. It uses a loop and counter for each and then the counts are compared. On a large document, it takes minutes just for the counting, which is not acceptable. I'd like to find a method that does not use a loop to get the counts. I'm thinking along the lines of using 'getdoclist' to get each occurrence, then using the line count as the count. Not sure that will work, but the question I have is whether there is a fast way to count occurrences of tags like this without using loops. The documents can be over 100,000 lines long.

      Any thoughts?

      Thanks,