24035Re: VanWeerthuizenian Expressions

  • flo.gehrke
    Sep 19, 2013
      Joy,

      > I'm still not quite sure exactly what the desired end results of
      > this topic is (subroutines? other way to write this type of code?)

      As I wrote, so far, Wayne gave us five expressions...

      Boolean --> Wayne's equivalent
      -------------------------------
      A AND B --> ^$Calc(MIN(A;B))$=1
      A OR B --> ^$Calc(MAX(A;B))$=1
      A NOT B --> ^$Calc(MIN(A;1-B))$=1
      A XOR B --> ^$Calc(ABS(A-B))$=1
      NOT A --> ^$Calc(1-A)$=1

      See my clip as an example how to make use of these expressions -- if I understand Wayne's concept correctly.

      So my simple question is: Could anyone give me, say, four or five more "Waynean expressions" like that for executing even more complicated Boolean expressions? And best show us how to test them against the list...

      A B
      A B C
      A C D
      D E F

      For example: What is the "Waynean expression" to be used with my clip in order to match lines where 'A NOT (B OR C)' is true? Or '(C OR D) AND NOT A' etc...

      > You will find that I would try to avoid functions like MAX and
      > MIN except for simply cases simply because the syntax gets
      > messy so quickly.

      Are we free to "avoid" these functions here? I think they are a basic element of Wayne's concept. 'A NOT B', for example, says: If A is true and if B is true then 'A NOT B' is true if ^$Calc(MIN(A;1-B))$=1. So I can't see how your calculations like...

      > IfTrue (A+B+C+D+E) > 0
      > MIN(A;B;C;D;E)
      > also equivalent to A*B*C*D*E

      could conform with Wayne's concept. I think ^$Calc is just used for sequentially testing for 0 or 1 (true or false) here.

      Regards,
      Flo
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic