23885[Clip] Re: alphanumeric character transcoding, by ones and pairs

  • rickah
    Jun 18, 2013
      Flo and Ian,
      I apologize for not noticing this earlier, but you two seemed to be doing so well without me, I was afraid I'd break your focus.

      If "bJ" occurs together it becomes a single and different character.
      If "bj" occurs together it is two separate characters. These are completely case sensitive pairings.

      ONLY these character pairs follow this rule:
      "bJ" >> "bS"
      "dD" >> "'f"
      "kY" >> "uF"
      "KY" >> "cF"
      "mD" >> "rf"
      "mJ" >> "rS"
      "pJ" >> "yS"
      "PJ" >> "zS"
      "SJ" >> "pS"
      "sJ" >> "qS"

      > > Flo, I don't think you need to split first. Just extend your
      > > initial idea so that the replacement that has two characters
      > > has a | inserted between the characters. Then your first RE
      > > replace works fine.
      >
      > Ian,
      >
      > Yes, I think you are right. I was misled by those 54 ^!Replace lines in message #23877. Only today, I see that there seems to be no difference between single characters and 2-character-sequences.
      >
      > So why the heck does rickah make it three replacements: 'bJ' -> 'bS', 'b' -> 'b', and 'J' -> 'S' if the result is always the same? Also why 'KY' -> 'cF', 'K' -> 'c', and 'Y' -> 'F' etc...?
      >
      > Unfortunately, the only one who could answer this has made himself scarce. So the job is much easier, indeed.
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic