      From: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of hitch@...
      Sent: Friday, April 19, 2013 17:19
      To: ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Clip] Dot matches newline ON or OFF (was Re: Non printing characters.)

      Axel:

      I posted the description, so you'd know what I did as it was being entered. I did not realize that what I'd pasted would be unclear
      to anyone here. To be clear, in the "search for" field, I used:

      <italic span>(.*?)</span>

      With the named span inserted where the "italic span" text is now. When I say that this is a 'clip,' I keep it stored in my clips,
      but as it's never the same (the name and other material for the span can be ANYTHING that somebody in their brain thought up, any
      name for the span, any font, etc.), it's not viable as a regular "clip." I mean, I could automate it, to the pasting, but...why?

      So, I copy-and-paste the name of the span, e.g.:

      then select regex, and then, in the replace box, I've simply always put:

      <i>$1</i>

      ...which has, to date, *always* worked. Now, I know that I've got "regex" selected, because it's finding the FIND. If regex were not
      selected, it would not be. After a post here, I added

      (?s)

      to the front of the search, as I was suddenly encountering issues with the search not working due to non-printing chars. (This has
      always worked, non-printing chars or not, before, BTW, without the (?s), FWIW).

      And NOW, the replace is replacing what *should* be something like

      <i>and they lived happily ever after</i>

      post-regex, to:

      <i>$1</i>

      literally. As if it's a regular s&r, not regex. Yes, I tried putting parentheticals around the $1, but that did not change the
      result.

      Does anyone have any thoughts? Thank you.

      Hitch