23750[Clip] Dot matches newline ON or OFF (was Re: Non printing characters.)

  • kahitch
    Apr 19, 2013
      Axel:

      I posted the description, so you'd know what I did as it was being entered. I did not realize that what I'd pasted would be unclear to anyone here. To be clear, in the "search for" field, I used:

      <italic span>(.*?)</span>

      With the named span inserted where the "italic span" text is now. When I say that this is a 'clip,' I keep it stored in my clips, but as it's never the same (the name and other material for the span can be ANYTHING that somebody in their brain thought up, any name for the span, any font, etc.), it's not viable as a regular "clip." I mean, I could automate it, to the pasting, but...why?

      So, I copy-and-paste the name of the span, e.g.:

      then select regex, and then, in the replace box, I've simply always put:

      <i>$1</i>

      ...which has, to date, *always* worked. Now, I know that I've got "regex" selected, because it's finding the FIND. If regex were not selected, it would not be. After a post here, I added

      (?s)

      to the front of the search, as I was suddenly encountering issues with the search not working due to non-printing chars. (This has always worked, non-printing chars or not, before, BTW, without the (?s), FWIW).

      And NOW, the replace is replacing what *should* be something like

      <i>and they lived happily ever after</i>

      post-regex, to:

      <i>$1</i>

      literally. As if it's a regular s&r, not regex. Yes, I tried putting parentheticals around the $1, but that did not change the result.

      Does anyone have any thoughts? Thank you.

      Hitch

      > hitch@... wrote:
      >
      > > this clip has been stored in my library for ~2 years now
      >
      > As above it's no clip. When using those two terms in the dialogue you
      > need to select regular expressions. There was a recent change there,
      > regex used to be a checkbox and is now part of a dropdown.
      >
      > If it is a clip please post that as-is and completely and not some
      > decription of it.
      >
      > Axel

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic