23105Re: Convert static endnotes to inline notes

  • querulus
    Aug 5, 2012
      The idea of multiparagraph inline notes jarred me as well. As it happens, the target application is InDesign, and to determine the proper import format, I created a multiparagraph note within InDesign and exported the text as Tagged Text. I didn't expect to see a full CRLF in between note paragraphs within the parent text paragraph, but that's what Adobe does. I take your point that it may be valuable to enclose each note, no matter how many paragraphs, in a wrapper to designate note start and end.

      Thanks for your help. I'll try to review all the suggestions in the next few days.

      Klaas

      > John Shotsky wrote:
      > > I would start
      >
      > Another take. First I dislike your Format. If notes can contain
      > paragraphs, then make it explicit:
      >
      > <notetext>123<P>some text</P><P>more text</P></notetext>
      >
      > Also you say "insert it inline" which jars with "several paragraphs". So
      > perhaps you need to differentiate between inline and paragraph notes.
      >
      > Given that I'd do it this way:
      >
      > Search from the top for the first notetext.
      > Exit if none is found
      > Save it to a variable and delete in the text.
      > Delete the start and end tags in the variable
      > Search from the top for the corresponding noteref.
      > Throw an error if not found.
      > Delete tags as necessary and Insert variable, inline or as paragraphs as
      > needed.
      > Loop to the top
      >
      > That's atr least twelve lines against John's three, but I see that
      > number as wildly optimistic.
      >
      > Axel

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic