23090RE: [Clip] Convert static endnotes to inline notes

  • John Shotsky
    Aug 4, 2012
      Here is my test file:
      <start>
      <noteref>123</noteref>
      <middle>
      This is the intervening text between the two notes.
      <noteref>124</noteref>
      <end>

      <notetext>123This is the first note.
      My thought was this: search for each note reference in text. When I find one, set a marker there, set the number as a
      variable, Then jump to the corresponding note, select the entire note (again, because a note can be multiple paragraphs
      I'd have to search to the beginning of the next numbered paragraph).

      Cut the note paragraphs from their location (retaining any internal paragraph breaks), jump back to the note reference,
      and paste the note. Then jump to the next reference and repeat the process. As I say, because I don't need to retain the
      numbers, if it would help to strip out each note reference as I insert the corresponding note, that would be
      fine.</notetext>
      <notetext>124This is the second note.
      My thought was this: search for each note reference in text. When I find one, set a marker there? set the number as a
      variable? Then jump to the corresponding note, select the entire note (again, because a note can be multiple paragraphs
      I'd have to search to the beginning of the next numbered paragraph).

      Cut the note paragraphs from their location (retaining any internal paragraph breaks), jump back to the note reference,
      and paste the note. Then jump to the next reference and repeat the process. As I say, because I don't need to retain the
      numbers, if it would help to strip out each note reference as I insert the corresponding note, that would be
      fine.</notetext>

      Here is the code:
      ;===
      ^!Replace "<notetext>(?=\d+)" >> "«" ARSW
      ^!Replace "(?s)<noteref>(\d+)</noteref>([^«]+)«\1([^«]+)<\/notetext>" >> "\r\n$3\r\n\r\n$2" ARSW
      ^!IfError Next Else Skip_-1
      ;===
      Enjoy!