22805Re: What is it you like most about NoteTab?

  • flo.gehrke
    Jun 17, 2012
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes <egroups@...> wrote:

      > Dear Notetabber,
      >
      > I'd love to have your opinion...

      1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?

      Editing text, Text Analysis & Retrieval; mainly dealing with text from scans, files, or internet, to be edited before importing it into text databases (my favorite: AskSam, www.asksam.com). Additional evaluating text that has been exported from those databases (indexing, creating thesaurus and descriptors, detecting structural faults etc).

      2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

      Easy and efficient scripting (Clips) / Its enormous, almost inexhaustible versatility -- even after years, I get across new features I haven't seen before ;-)

      3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

      Clips / Find & Replace

      4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
      another editor?

      Unknown, since I don't use another editor.

      5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors offer?

      Selected Editing in KEDIT (www.kedit.com).

      Normally, I don't use another editor -- so I don't know whether any other editor offers one of the following features. All I can deliver is my personal "Most missed in NoteTab List" (or "wish list"):

      Bookmarks: Creating more than 10 bookmarks (unlimited if possible)

      Bookmarks: Saving bookmarks with file

      Clip / '^!Info': Customizing message window with '^!SetInfoWidth' (cf '^!SetWizardWidth').

      Clip / ^!Append: Directly appending data from functions, clipboard etc; so far, we can append contents from other variable only. Example: ^!Append %Var%=^$GetDocMatchAll(...)$; ^!Append ^$GetClipboard

      Clip / ^!DeleteSelection: An 'A' option, i.e. delete all occurrences of selection in active document.

      Clip / ^!Jump: Jump to character defined numerically ("99th character in document")

      Clip / Executing Clips with customized shortcuts

      Clip / Number Lines: A '^!NumberLines' command with 'Start Numbering from/to' options. Please note: We've got '^!Toolbar Number Lines' but it prompts the user to enter a line number. Alternative: A '^$NumberLines(Start;End;FormatNumber)$' function which returnes the whole file or selected lines only.

      Clip / Runtime: '^$Runtime$' function which returns the runtime of a clip -- also in milliseconds!

      Clip / Search & Replace: Conditional Replacement with arrays.
      Example: !Replace "Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday" >> "(Mo|Tue|Wed)"

      Clip / Search & Replace: RegEx in all String Functions

      Clip / Sort: Numeric sort like ^$StrSort(Str;Numeric;Ascending;RemoveDuplicates)$

      Clip / Search & Replace: Excluding a selection (reverse to 'H' option).

      Clip: Repeating a loop defined times; i.e. something like 'For...to' or '^!LoopStart [n times]' and '^!LoopEnd'.

      Clip: A '^!IfRestart' command that checks if Clip has been startet anew during a session

      Editor Clipbook: Limiting search and search & replace to a particular Clip (so far it searches the whole clipbook)

      Editor: "Document | Second Window" also tiling horizontally

      Search & Replace: A 'Concept-based Search' that finds 'concepts' (synonyms for example). The user defines a list of terms which should be regarded as equivalents. Example: Search 'mother' will also match 'father', 'dad', 'mom', 'parents' etc. The Search dialog should contain a check box 'Use Concepts' allowing access to that list. Define that list in "Options | Tools " for example. Enable Concept-based Search also in Clips.

      Search & Replace: A kind of Fuzzy Search option based on linguistic rules. Example: Find 'dialog' also matches 'dialogue'

      Search Disk: Boolean Expressions in "Search | Search Disk" like "Find files where 'A not (B or C) is true"

      Search Disk: Executing Search Disk with a Clip command fully supporting all its options and arguments

      Search: A kind of KWIC Concordance (Keyword in Context) that finds a search term and displays it in a defined context of n words before and after that term. Note: A long time ago, we've created that with a Clip -- but a standard command would be useful.

      Spell Check / Options: Ignore case option

      Spell Check: Clearing an UDT against a reference text corpus. Example: Remove all entries which occur less than (optional:1|2|3|...) times in reference corpus.

      Spell Check: Editing *.DCT dictionaries

      Text Statistics: A '^$TextStatistics$' function which returns the results of the Text Statistics (optional:short/word frequency) without dialogs.

      Text Statistics: An option for a case-sensitive statistics. Note: "report" and "Report" is two times "report" now; that option should distinguish between upper and lower case. Also as an option in related string functions (^$StrWordList$, ^$StrWordCount$ etc).

      6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

      Improving all those tasks I mentioned above in #1

      Regards,
      Flo

      P.S. Adding another question...

      7. Is there any risk in using NoteTab?

      There are signs that you could get addicted ;-)
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic