22292Re: Finding gaps in a sequence

  • flo.gehrke
    Dec 2, 2011

      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:

      > Hi Art,
      >
      > I suspect that none of the people offering solutions are privy to
      > the format of the data file. So verifying input must be left to Flo.

      Friends,

      I started this topic with message #22221 writing...

      > I've got a database where each record is indexed with an alpha-code
      > from 'aaa' to 'zzz'. Every now and then, I want to find out if there
      > is a gap in a sorted list of these codes. There's a gap, for
      > example, in...
      >
      > zbx
      > zby
      > zbz
      > zca
      > zcc
      > zcd

      So why speculating about the format of the data? Why inventing characters and strings which actually are not there?

      "For we write none other things unto you,
      than what ye read or acknowledge..."
      Corinthians 2, 1:13

      Flo
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic