Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

22282Re: Finding gaps in a sequence

Expand Messages
  • flo.gehrke
    Dec 1, 2011
    • 0 Attachment
      Thanks, Eb! Now we've got another working solution.

      I've tested it succesfully. In a list of 10,000 3-digit-alpha-codes it needs 118 seconds to find a gap.

      Maybe it's a bit complicated to see those gaps because it outputs numbers and not the code -- but never mind. What matters here is the basic concept.

      Flo

      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Eb" <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:
      >
      > Hi Flo,
      >
      > You have are right in what the hex conversion was supposed to do.
      > In the mean time I found my original char to hex clip, which only converted a single digit. I applied the single-digit approach to your problem. While I got it to work, it just raised another problem.
      >
      > The alphabet is like a base-26 number set (English aplhabet), after shifting a to zero. Straight conversion to numbers creates gaps, where it rolls to the next digit, i.e. aaz --> aba has a gap of 26!, the value of the next digit, and azz to baa has a gap much larger!
      >
      > I believe you already had a base-26 suggestion. But I was on a roll and created my own version, looking at two ideas:
      >
      > 1. a single array, containing the base-26 values 0..25, used with the calc function, to arrive at consecutive decimal values for your alpha codes.
      >
      > 2. Three separate arrays, one for each digit in your codes, containing look-up values for each alpha character by digit.
      >
      > The second version is more efficient, and I have included it here (mind the long lines):
      >
      >
      > ----------->8-------------
      > H="ThreeDigitAlphaToBase26"
      > ;value of characters in 1st to 3rd (right to left) digit of code
      > ^!SetArray %digits3%=0;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;20;21;22;23;24;25
      > ^!SetArray %digits2%=0;26;52;78;104;130;156;182;208;234;260;286;312;338;364;390;416;442;468;494;520;546;572;598;624;650
      > ^!SetArray %digits1%=0;676;1352;2028;2704;3380;4056;4732;5408;6084;6760;7436;8112;8788;9464;10140;10816;11492;12168;12844;13520;14196;14872;15548;16224;16900
      > ^!Set %offset%=64
      > ;note: offsets a to 1, which has value zero in numbering system
      > ;--------------------------------------------
      > ;extract codes
      > ^!SetListDelimiter ^%nl%
      > ^!SetArray %codes%=^$GetDocMatchAll("^[a-z]{3}")$
      > ;loop codes
      > ^!Set %i%=0
      > :Loop
      > ^!Inc %i%
      > ;fetch code digits one at a time, consolidate in temp
      > ^!Set %one%=^$CharToDec(^$StrUpper(^$StrIndex("^%codes^%i%%";1)$)$)$
      > ^!Dec %one% ^%offset%
      > ^!Set %temp%=^%digits1^%one%%
      > ^!Set %two%=^$CharToDec(^$StrUpper(^$StrIndex("^%codes^%i%%";2)$)$)$
      > ^!Dec %two% ^%offset%
      > ^!Inc %temp% ^%digits2^%two%%
      > ^!Set %tre%=^$CharToDec(^$StrUpper(^$StrIndex("^%codes^%i%%";3)$)$)$
      > ^!Dec %tre% ^%offset%
      > ^!Inc %temp% ^%digits3^%tre%%
      > ;assign assembled code back to codes array
      > ^!Set %codes^%i%%=^%temp%
      > ;--------------------------------------------
      > :gap_trap
      > ^!If ^%i%>1 SKIP_2
      > ^!Set %OLD%=^%temp%
      > ^!Dec %old%
      > ;incrementing OLD should set it to same as new
      > ^!Inc %OLD%
      > ;temporarily disable for testing
      > ^!If ^%old%<>^%temp% HANDLE_GAP
      > ;if differene > 1 signal a gap
      > ;--------------------------------------------
      > :NOGAP
      > ^!Set %old%=^%temp%
      > ^!Info ^%codes^%i%%
      > ^!If ^%i%<^%codes0% LOOP
      > ^!Goto END
      >
      > :HANDLE_GAP
      > ^!Info [L]There is a gap at ^%old% to ^%temp%^%nl%Continuing...
      > ^!Set %OLD%=^%TEMP%
      > ^!Goto NOGAP
      > ----------->8-------------
      >
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      >
      > Eb
      >
      > PS
      > I'm guessing at some of the stuff below:
      > The conversion to hex failed because NoteTab saw the insertion of a plain caret as the begin of a parsable something, and when changed to ^%caret% in included the caret like an escaped character, no longer capable of triggering the parser.
      >
      > As to the HextToInt function, it works fine, when an actual hex number is passed to it.
      >
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic