Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

22276Re: Finding gaps in a sequence

Expand Messages
  • Eb
    Nov 30, 2011
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi Flo,

      You have are right in what the hex conversion was supposed to do.
      In the mean time I found my original char to hex clip, which only converted a single digit. I applied the single-digit approach to your problem. While I got it to work, it just raised another problem.

      The alphabet is like a base-26 number set (English aplhabet), after shifting a to zero. Straight conversion to numbers creates gaps, where it rolls to the next digit, i.e. aaz --> aba has a gap of 26!, the value of the next digit, and azz to baa has a gap much larger!

      I believe you already had a base-26 suggestion. But I was on a roll and created my own version, looking at two ideas:

      1. a single array, containing the base-26 values 0..25, used with the calc function, to arrive at consecutive decimal values for your alpha codes.

      2. Three separate arrays, one for each digit in your codes, containing look-up values for each alpha character by digit.

      The second version is more efficient, and I have included it here (mind the long lines):

      ;value of characters in 1st to 3rd (right to left) digit of code
      ^!SetArray %digits3%=0;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;20;21;22;23;24;25
      ^!SetArray %digits2%=0;26;52;78;104;130;156;182;208;234;260;286;312;338;364;390;416;442;468;494;520;546;572;598;624;650
      ^!SetArray %digits1%=0;676;1352;2028;2704;3380;4056;4732;5408;6084;6760;7436;8112;8788;9464;10140;10816;11492;12168;12844;13520;14196;14872;15548;16224;16900
      ^!Set %offset%=64
      ;note: offsets a to 1, which has value zero in numbering system
      ;extract codes
      ^!SetListDelimiter ^%nl%
      ^!SetArray %codes%=^$GetDocMatchAll("^[a-z]{3}")$
      ;loop codes
      ^!Set %i%=0
      ^!Inc %i%
      ;fetch code digits one at a time, consolidate in temp
      ^!Set %one%=^$CharToDec(^$StrUpper(^$StrIndex("^%codes^%i%%";1)$)$)$
      ^!Dec %one% ^%offset%
      ^!Set %temp%=^%digits1^%one%%
      ^!Set %two%=^$CharToDec(^$StrUpper(^$StrIndex("^%codes^%i%%";2)$)$)$
      ^!Dec %two% ^%offset%
      ^!Inc %temp% ^%digits2^%two%%
      ^!Set %tre%=^$CharToDec(^$StrUpper(^$StrIndex("^%codes^%i%%";3)$)$)$
      ^!Dec %tre% ^%offset%
      ^!Inc %temp% ^%digits3^%tre%%
      ;assign assembled code back to codes array
      ^!Set %codes^%i%%=^%temp%
      ^!If ^%i%>1 SKIP_2
      ^!Set %OLD%=^%temp%
      ^!Dec %old%
      ;incrementing OLD should set it to same as new
      ^!Inc %OLD%
      ;temporarily disable for testing
      ^!If ^%old%<>^%temp% HANDLE_GAP
      ;if differene > 1 signal a gap
      ^!Set %old%=^%temp%
      ^!Info ^%codes^%i%%
      ^!If ^%i%<^%codes0% LOOP
      ^!Goto END

      ^!Info [L]There is a gap at ^%old% to ^%temp%^%nl%Continuing...
      ^!Set %OLD%=^%TEMP%
      ^!Goto NOGAP



      I'm guessing at some of the stuff below:
      The conversion to hex failed because NoteTab saw the insertion of a plain caret as the begin of a parsable something, and when changed to ^%caret% in included the caret like an escaped character, no longer capable of triggering the parser.

      As to the HextToInt function, it works fine, when an actual hex number is passed to it.
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic