21393RE: [Clip] Re: Problems with clip and deleting between text

  • John Shotsky
    Jan 4, 2011
      When debugging clips, I copy a small portion of a larger document and paste it into a new document, then run the clips
      on that. It doesn't need to be saved first. That way, you can have just the item(s) you are looking for, the clips run
      fast, and you can undo your way back through it to see what was done, and when. You can also step back through it using
      redo. This way, you gain an understanding of exactly what your clips are doing, and in what order. It is similar to
      using debug, but is easier to manage, and you can reverse direction any time you need to.

      I also have a 'scratchpad' clip where I try things out. Just paste one or a few lines of clipcode there, and run it on
      your small document. As each bit of code is made to work right, give it its own home or add to an existing clip and then
      build some more. Use ^!GoTo Exit in your main body of clips to halt execution where you want it, then use your
      scratchpad clip to carry it from there on. That lets you run through your tested clips first, then stop exactly where
      needed to test the next thing.

      In this example, it would have run correctly, apparently, until the large file was attempted. That would tell you the
      code is right, but there is another problem. A large file would have a large undo buffer also, so your main memory could
      be exhausted, causing the swap file to become active. That's a much slower process, which could then introduce timing
      errors. This can be tested for by stopping other programs, using Task manager to stop unneeded background processes, and
      starting with a fresh copy of the large document, so there is no undo buffer in place. Depending on resources, that
      could be enough to get it to run correctly.

      Recipe formatting tools:
      <http://recipetools.gotdns.com/> http://recipetools.gotdns.com
      Beaverton Weather:
      <http://shotsky.gotdns.com/> http://shotsky.gotdns.com