20902[Clip] Re: Counting delimiters

  • diodeom
    Jul 29, 2010
      Don <don@...> wrote:

      > I may not be huge on returning things to before state, but if you are
      > reading long lines, often wrap is actually beneficial -- and returning
      > it to state is a healthy thing. It "does no harm" while running.
      >
      > I don't bother with clear at the end so much but I will often at the
      > beginning (remember the bit we had a while ago discussing whether things
      > actually went away in variables as they seemed to have an afterlife).
      > Memory is not challenged usually by leaving some variables left around.

      I mostly concur. And I have to clarify that by no means I'm advocating for the abandonment of good scripting practices; I just by now don't see great evil in leaving optional embellishments out <em>when posting code</em> and focusing on the vital stuff. I'm aware that these sometimes valid and useful trinkets are not necessarily evident to every reader -- even though I feel like they were repetitively beaten with a shovel into my poor head by the Clip Police. :) I'd nearly equate them with (fortunately absent) redundancy of restating common precautions and disclaimers with each and every published snippet. Worse yet, I've been somehow conditioned to be overly skeptical, and when <em>in certain contexts</em> I encounter reminders of the obvious, I'm slow to appreciate them as entirely genuine contributions. My demons solely, hopefully.

      Yes, I do remember Jan 27th rather well -- one of my first postings. I misjudged your observation and jumped to a conclusion without testing. Aside from the plain takeaway (test, Dio, test!) and the commitment to revisit the issue of persistence & pecking order of once-set variables (once I get my feathers, as I have no programming background), I gratefully recall your gracious attitude in spite of my folly.
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic