19868RE: [Clip] Saving one's place

  • John Shotsky
    Nov 4, 2009
      I sent that before I was ready to. Sorry.

      The screenupdate issue is happening because other clips are called that have
      StatusShow lines in them. When that command is encountered, it updates the
      screen to the top of the document, displays the status message, then freezes
      the display at the top of the document until the end of the clip, when the
      original position is displayed. When I disable the StatusShow message, I get
      the desired result.

      So, the StatusShow command is ignoring the ScreenUpdate command. It should
      show only the status message if ScreenUpdate is OFF. I suspect there is
      nothing I can do to get the desired result at this point, as I read in the
      help files that the screen is updated with this command.

      I decided to use the jump command to get back to the original line, so my
      current version looks like this:

      ^!SetScreenUpdate OFF

      ^!Set %View%=^$GetRow$

      Intervening clips

      ^!Jump ^%View%

      If I were to propose a new feature, it would be a 'ScreenFreeze' feature
      that would prevent scrolling during the operation of clips. It would obey
      the ScreenUpdate command, so you could either watch the changes as they
      occur in your window, or block them until the end of the clip. But the
      window would display the same lines throughout the clip run. It would not do
      a screen refresh for StatusShow messages, it would simply display the
      message on the frozen window. If a ScreenFreeze feature was available, I
      would probably use it 100% of the time I'm developing clips.

      Thanks for the ideas.

      John