19293Re: [Clip] Searching for multiple text items

  • Sheri
    Jun 4, 2009
      Hi Flo,

      FWIW, More on Findstr:

      Its regex features are quite limited, e.g., vertical bar, plus sign and question mark have no special meaning.

      Findstr search strings can be stored in a file read with /G: parameter (one string per line, where lines are "or'ed"). If read from a file, ansi characters with high decimal values lik "ß" work fine. But if such characters are included on the command line, e.g., in ^$GetOutPut$, they won't work.

      terms submitted on the command line contain such characters, they don't work.

      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi Alec (Flo),
      > >
      > > I think Flo was hoping for an easy, free solution to boolean
      > > searches that could be launched from clips...
      >
      > > I think Flo was hoping for an easy, free solution to boolean
      > > searches that could be launched from clips.
      >
      > Yes, Sheri, that's my point. To be launched from a clip and returning the search results to NT. Or more detailed:
      >
      > 1. Start a clip in NT
      > 2. Use hard-coded search criteria or enter them in a wizard
      > 3. Send these criteria as parameters to an external tool
      > 4. Return the search results to NT, i.e. insert the results into a document or continue clip execution with these results.
      >
      > I agree with you that BFIND is not the standard we need though it masters Boolean Expressions. (By the way: We may improve that whole-words issue a little bit by adding spaces and writing "·Babcock·" (quoted) but again this wouldn't cover all variations.)
      >
      > Maybe the best solution would be an utility that combines something like BFIND (Boolean expressions) with FINDSTR (RegEx), or another tool that we havn't seen so far.
      >
      > Those work-arounds with GREP or FINDSTR are able to simulate a Boolean AND, OR, and probably also a NOT. But -- as I said before -- we'll get into trouble when trying to create a solution executing enlarged Boolean queries like Chilli's example "(apples AND oranges) OR (apples AND bananas)".
      >
      > There are tools perfectly executing such Boolean queries -- I mentioned InfoRapid (http://www.inforapid.de/html/searchreplace.htm), for example. Another nice little tool is WanyWord (http://home4.inet.tele.dk/jensguld/). But the problem with these programs is how to fully integrate them in a clip as mentioned above.
      >
      > So I agree with Sheri's summary: "But anyway. If you come across a better command line tool that works well on Windows, let us know."
      >
      > Or we may see an improved Search Disk Command in the future. i.e.: a Search Disk that executes Boolean search and comes with commands for scripting. I wonder why Eric Fookes shows that "fair amount of reserve" with respect to these issues though the drawbacks of Search Disk have often been discussed in this forum...
      >
      > Regards,
      > Flo

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic