19284Re: [Clip] Searching for multiple text items

  • Sheri
    Jun 1, 2009
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

      > Sheri (silvermoonwoman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-06-01 at
      > 18:11):
      > > The bfind text file states: "As with most DOS-based utilities,
      > > this program doesn't understand the weird subdirectories, long
      > > filenames, invalid characters that are possible under Windows."
      >
      > Flo/Sheri - I haven't followed this in detail and had never heard
      > of bfind before but are either of you familiar with Unix based
      > text processing commands available via UnxUtils (smaller download
      > and less extraneous programs) or Cygwin? By putting their
      > programs in your $PATH environment that can be used (I think)
      > co-equal with "standard" DOS commands.

      Hi Alec (Flo),

      I think Flo was hoping for an easy, free solution to boolean searches that could be launched from clips. Bfind takes compound boolean expressions. Too bad Mr. Guthrie never updated beyond VBasic Compiler for DOS 1.0. His documentation was written using PE2 (which prompted my recent poorly received nostalgia... :D)

      But anyway. If you come across a better command line tool that works well on Windows, let us know.

      > For AND logic I'd be looking at generating a list of files
      > containing 1st word with a grep command, piping that into a
      > second grep command looking for 2nd word , ... , rinse, lather
      > and repeat till Nth word.

      Exactly what the recently posted clip-to-bat-to-^$GetOutput$ (using Findstr) did. I may refine that a bit.

      > For OR logic - running a grep for each word generating N
      > file-lists, concatenating them together eliminating duplicates.

      Findstr handles "Or" directly. A list of search words is automatically or'ed. Findstr also does regular expressions, which one would think could alternate or's.

      Actually Bfind is also good addition to the toolbox once you get a handle on its limitations. Flo, Bfind was a "good find" :D