19283Re: [Clip] Searching for multiple text items

  • Alec Burgess
    Jun 1, 2009
      Sheri (silvermoonwoman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2009-06-01 at
      > The bfind text file states: "As with most DOS-based utilities,
      > this program doesn't understand the weird subdirectories, long
      > filenames, invalid characters that are possible under Windows."

      Flo/Sheri - I haven't followed this in detail and had never heard of
      bfind before but are either of you familiar with Unix based text
      processing commands available via UnxUtils (smaller download and less
      extraneous programs) or Cygwin? By putting their programs in your $PATH
      environment that can be used (I think) co-equal with "standard" DOS

      I'd be looking at one of the grep variants (egrep, fgrep, grep - I've
      never been quite clear on the distinctions), sed (can handle both
      finding and replacing) and possible awk. All of these can be used in
      conjunction with $GetOutput$ and/or $GetDosOutput$

      Not sure which (if any handle Unicode etc).

      For AND logic I'd be looking at generating a list of files containing
      1st word with a grep command, piping that into a second grep command
      looking for 2nd word , ... , rinse, lather and repeat till Nth word.

      For OR logic - running a grep for each word generating N file-lists,
      concatenating them together eliminating duplicates.

      Assuming you don't want to instead find a purpose-built utility but do
      it all as close to Notetab clips as possible the next level would be to
      get sufficient knowledge of another scripting language that solutions
      would readily come to mind in one of them. (eg. perl, python, ruby,
      vbscript, powerscript, lua). Unfortunately I' haven't taken the time
      (hours, days(?), weeks(?) ... longer(?)) to get that familiarity.