19280Re: [Clip] Searching for multiple text items

  • Sheri
    Jun 1, 2009

      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@> wrote:
      >
      > > You can try ^$GetDosOutput$.
      >
      > Yes, Sheri, you are right: For me, BFIND works with
      > ^$GetDosOutput$. Also you have to use short path and file names
      > in the old DOS-style. Entering the path with ^$GetDocumentPath$
      > is not accepted.
      >
      > Just copy BFIND.EXE to C:\Windows (no more installation needed).

      With effort I managed to determine which of my txt files bfind didn't like, and once removed, I didn't get the "Invalid Function" error. My test folder has (or had) 76 txt files of various sizes.

      I see that it is not really testing whole words. Looking for "abc" finds Babcock, for example.

      Also, if searching *.txt or a file with a filelist using the option @filename, it is apparent that it quits if it hits a file that elicits this message:

      (Warning... No EOL within first 24000 characters. Skipping...)

      Sadly, it didn't say which file caused that message, so there was more hunting. :/

      When searching individual files, I found additional matches in files with file names past the file that gave that warning.

      Also, DOS doesn't like non-ascii characters. "Zuschuß" is in the word list you once posted, but using that as a search word in the clip wizard gets no matches.

      The bfind text file states: "As with most DOS-based utilities,
      this program doesn't understand the weird subdirectories, long
      filenames, invalid characters that are possible under Windows."

      So, be aware of such issues when you use it.