18637[Clip] Re: Line frequency analysis.

  • Sheri
    Nov 7, 2008

      > Flo wrote:
      > > Sheri,
      > >
      > > I think there's a problem with this solution. It ignores trailing
      > > blanks and empty lines in the counting of duplicate lines but not in
      > > the ^!Find command. So if we have got...
      > >
      > > 0.verizon.windowsxp <-- trailing blank
      > > 0.verizon.windowsxp
      > > 0.verizon.windowsxp
      > >
      > > for example, the clip doesn't find three duplicates but
      > > interprets this as a singular line plus two duplicates of another
      > > line. That is, it works fine only on the condition that all three
      > > duplicates end with a trailing blank. You're right. So it may be
      > > better to remove trailing blanks prior to ^!Find. Isn't it?

      > Not necessary if we change the ^!Find to this:
      >
      > ^!Find "^(.+\S)(\s*\r\n\1)*" RS
      >
      > > P.S. By the way: It makes no difference -- but what about...
      > >
      > > ^$GetDocReplaceAll("\s+$|(?<=.)\z";"\r\n")$
      > >
      > > (since NT v.5.0 the \s matches "any white space", including
      > > CRNL). Haven't tested that and it may work fine. However it looks
      > > suspicious because: we are using the PCRE multiline option by
      > > default in NoteTab so $ matches at line ends (and line ends by
      > > definition are followed by \r\n when showing in a NoteTab
      > > document) but \s+ matches across line breaks. So how can it match
      > > $ if it picks up all the \r\n's? In order to match $ it would
      > > need to backtrack. It might create an issue if it backtracks
      > > between the \r and \n.
      >
      > I'll try to test it later.

      Indeed that pattern matches in the middle of \r\n. So after
      replacement, we end up with \r\n\n. The reason it makes no difference
      to the outcome is because we are counting "\r\n" after applying this
      in ^$GetDocReplaceAll$. You would be able to see a problem if that
      were getting inserted in the document (however, something else happens
      when you insert it, \r\n\n becomes \r\n\r\n because the input control
      needs line breaks to be \r\n -- you can test the string size prior to
      insertion vs testing the size of a selection after insertion).

      I think it is preferable to greedily replace white space that precedes
      "\r\n" with "". The white space does include other CRLFs.