17718Re: Replacing comma with a tab

  • notetab_is_great
    Apr 5, 2008
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "janderri" <jan_derrick@...> wrote:

      > --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Flo wrote:
      > > > "^(.+\t.+?),"
      > >
      > > A question, as I have never yet used such a complicated term
      inside one
      > > pair of parentheses:
      > > What does the non greedy specifier apply to there exactly and would it
      > > make any sense to write (.+?\t.+?) instead? We were never told if
      there
      > > could be preexisting tabs anywhere in the source lines.
      > >
      > > Danke
      > > Axel
      > >

      > I think we can conclude this with :
      >
      > Regular expressions in NoteTab are a mess + we can't even trust them
      to work correctly too.

      That's a strange conclusion to reach as a result of this thread...

      It is true that the regular expression given here was written making
      an assumption that the only tab at the beginning of the data is the
      one that was just inserted by replacing the previous ",". However,
      that doesn't mean that regular expressions are a mess, or don't
      work... it just means there was a poor assumption made in constructing
      this one.

      Thing is, regular expressions are used to tackle problems that are
      hard to solve in other ways, and that doesn't mean those problems are
      easily solved using regular expressions, either... but often they are
      solvable.

      While there are many smart people contributing to this forum, many of
      the problems they are attempting to help with are poorly specified.

      Even this regular expression is correct, if the assumption made
      actually holds; it is unfortunate that assumptions like that sneak in
      without being stated... that's a problem with assumptions in general,
      though, not just ones regarding regular expressions.
    • Show all 34 messages in this topic