15611Re: Search & Replace ... but no replace

  • Pat(kitPatH)
    Oct 9, 2006
      At 10/9/2006, you wrote:
      >1c. Search & Replace ... but no replace
      > Posted by: "Robert Kelsey" rdkelsey1113@... rdkelsey1113
      > Date: Sun Oct 8, 2006 4:48 pm (PDT)
      >
      >I have a regular chore that entails replacing characters generated by
      >other software, probably Word, where they do not display correctly
      >online, on web pages, in particular using Mozilla Firefox browser.
      >
      >When I try to do a search and replace via a clip everything works
      >fine EXCEPT for a few characters.
      >
      >The apostrophe which I try to replace with the character next to the
      >"enter" key
      >The double quotes which I try to replace with the shift of the key
      >next to the "enter" key.
      >
      >When I made the clip I did a copy/paste from the original document.
      >When I run the clip these items do not get replaced. I figure there
      >is some other actual character, or series of keystrokes, that represents them?
      >
      >Anyone have any ideas?

      Robert, if those nonstandard ascii characters show up in a "text" document, then
      look under nt's MODIFY menu. The last option should/might be "Convert to ascii"

      those nonstds show up mostly using the ansi. I do something similar in a brute force
      clip; adding "odd characters" as i find them.

      The trick is to never save as ascii before running the clip.

      Here's an example of what some of what I put into a H=replace nonascii chars - clip

      ;Accents mac and pc
      ^!Replace "ù" >> " -- " TWSA
      ^!Replace "—" >> " -- " TWSA
      ^!Replace "à" >> "a" TWSA