14978Re: [Clip] Understanding Writing Subroutines

  • rpdooling
    Apr 13, 2006
      Don, Bob, et al.

      I haven't read the entire thread closely, just parts of it. But don't
      you guys think you're testing the limits of clip code? We had this
      discussion once before, I think.

      Personally I believe that's why Eric made it so easy to call a Perl or
      Gawk script, because when you start wanting to do things like pass
      variables or do sophisticated regex you're probably better off just
      biting the bullet and learning a little Perl or Python or any of the
      other scripting languages you can call from within NoteTab.

      Just one man's opinion.

      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, "Bob McAllister" <fortiter@...> wrote:
      > On 4/14/06, Don - htmlfixit.com <don@...> wrote:
      > > I think that to be bad form even if functional as using the command
      > > makes it clearer what you are doing. It also has a much greater
      > > probability of working over time should they later make an update
      to the
      > > software as they almost always have reverse engineered commands and
      > > functions.
      > >
      > Don
      > I guess that you could argue it to be "bad form" in some abstract
      > computer science sense, but it does happen to be how Eric wrote
      > NoteTab. Have a look at the Custom Functions page in Clip Help where
      > it is described as "an approach similar to the ^!Clip command".
      > As (the other) Bob found, trying to stick a ^!Clip command in front of
      > a custom function, such as ^$m2y()$, is redundant and the resulting
      > code just does not work.
      > You can call the clip m2y with ^!Clip m2y (which I infer to be your
      > preference) but lose the ability to pass a parameter, which was the
      > point of the whole exercise.
      > Bob McAllister
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic