14863Re: [Clip] Re: regex?

  • Jeffery Scism
    Mar 1, 2006
      funkysmama wrote:

      >--- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, Jeff <scismgenie@...> wrote:
      >

      >>looking for a REGEX clip that will search out the first ^T in each
      >>

      >line
      >

      >>of a text file and convert it to a comma followed by a space. (really

      >>want to combine columns in a table, from a surname and first name
      >>

      >column
      >

      >>into a surname, first in a single column.) the third and fourth
      >>

      >columns
      >

      >>in the same table, same story)
      >>
      >>(Want 5 columns reduced to three) see
      >>(http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/marriages/pre-1850.htm)
      >>
      >>THANKS
      >>
      >>Jeff Scism
      >>

      >I gather you've already found a workaround, but to answer your original
      >question:

      >Replace: \1, \2, \3
      >
      >I do have to ask, do you have access to Excel? It's probably the tool I
      >would have used for this task.

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Yes I have EXcel, Microsoft Works suite and Open Office, I searched
      the help files and could not find a combine columns procedure, I could
      find "jion cells, but with 8,000 lines it was tedious. I manually worked
      around iy by doing double replacements on the columns I wanted to keep
      then replacing back to delimiters when I had done the replacement.