14325Re: [Clip] automatic naming of files

  • hsavage
    Oct 11, 2005
      tuxtyro wrote:
      > Greetings from a newcomer to the group and a programmer-wannabe. In
      > the ubiquitous MS Word, when 'Save As' is selcected the beginning text
      > of a file is offered as a suggested file name. What do i substitute
      > for <NoName%0.2d> to get the same result from NoteTab? I've tried
      > different variations on FileName and failed. It's got to be a simple
      > coding thing, but i'm lost. I'm currently trying to teach myself Java
      > and C, but my LAST programming was Fortran and RPG in 1970. Yeah,
      > yeah, no comments, now. {8^)
      > TIA

      tux,

      Have you resolved your requirement for using the first text line for the
      '^!Save AS Filename' to save files to.

      If you're interested I've constructed 2 clips, one uses the entire first
      as the filename, the second uses a user pre-set number of words in the
      first line as the filename.

      Both clips scan the selected filename for forbidden characters
      (characters dos and windows won't allow to be used in filenames and
      foldernames) and replaces those characters with a dash. If the proposed
      filename has no restricted characters it saves the file without
      hesitation.

      Word does it slightly differently, it stops the proposed filename at the
      first incidence of a forbidden character.

      Either clip can be modified to display the rename dialog with the
      appropriate text entered as the potential filename. This allows editing
      before the final save.

      To make either clip most useful you should add whichever to a Personal
      ToolBar so it's readily available without having to find and focus the
      clipbook containing the clip.

      Let me know.

      ºvº
      05.10.11