14081Re: [Clip] snag url and selection and save to file

  • d_offen
    Jul 25, 2005
      --- In ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@p...> wrote:
      > d_offen wrote:
      > > I like the suggestion to use the url snag extension in firefox, but
      > > find the clip that was suggested a while ago on this forum is more
      > > adaptable and therefore more useful.
      > >
      > > I have two versions which I use quite extensively. One uses the
      > > original clip suggested but highlights and copies the second line of
      > > the document (usually the title) and opens up the save function. I
      > > then only have to do a paste of the title and check where it is being
      > > saved and click ok. I use a button on the clip bar to activate the
      > > clip after hightlighting a passage in the browser.
      > >
      > > I tried to get some way to automatically paste the title into the
      save
      > > field but couldn't get it to do it. I'm not very good at clips. Can
      > > anyone clean up my clip and add that function? I would like to keep
      > > the manual save option so I can select different directories if
      > > necessary.
      > >
      > > ^!FocusApp *Mozilla*
      > > ^!Keyboard CTRL+C
      > > ^!ClipBoardSave
      > > ^!Keyboard ALT+D CTRL+C
      > > ^!ActivateApp
      > > ^!Keyboard CTRL+N
      > > ^!InsertText {^$GetClipboard$}^%nl%^%nl%
      > > ^!ClipBoardRestore
      > > ^!InsertText ^$GetClipboard$^%nl%^%nl%^P
      > > ^!Set %WrapStatus%=^$IsWordWrap$
      > > ^!SetWordWrap 0
      > > ^!KEYBOARD CTRL+HOME
      > > ^!Jump +2
      > > ^!KEYBOARD SHIFT+END
      > > ^!Keyboard CTRL+C
      > > ^!SetWordWrap ^%WrapStatus%
      > > ^!Keyboard SHIFT+CTRL+S
      > >
      > > The second option is to use this slightly modified clip to use the
      > > above notetab as a pasteboard for more selections from firefox.
      > >
      > > I then hit the save file button to update the saved document with the
      > > additions.
      > >
      > > These two clip buttons save me a lot of time and headaches.
      Thanks for
      > > putting in the original clips.
      > >
      > > Doug
      >
      > Doug,
      >
      > Could you give us a sample of one of your saves, so we can more clearly
      > see the url and text and where you get the title/filename from that
      > selection.

      I get a file of the selected text with the URL at the top. The second
      line which is usually the tiltle is highlighted and copied to the
      clipboard. The clip then opens the save function which defaults to the
      last folder used for saving. The highlighted text (title) is then
      pasted into the save as field by using CTRL+V manually. I check the
      folder for location and then hit save.

      When the save window comes up the cursor is flashing in the field for
      save as and the highlited text in the field is "NoName01.txt". I find
      the clip a great time saver and would like to include the insertion of
      the title from the clipboard as part of it. Then all I would have to
      do is a visual check and click save.

      > Also, if I understand correctly, you use the first clip for the initial
      > save then, the second clip for subsequent saves during the same session
      > so that all saves are in a single file. True/False

      True. The first clip opens a new document and goes to the save
      function. Sometimes if it is a news article or such I will leave that
      as the whole document.

      However if I am gathering info from say a forum or bits and pieces of
      quotes from several sources or URLs but on the same topic, I use the
      second clip. It doesn't open a new file. It adds the highlighted text
      (and collects the URL) to the active file and puts in a separator
      ----> . It acts similar to the pasteboard function already in notetab,
      but collects the URL too. When I am finished collecting I hit the save
      tab and it is all saved under the original document title.

      Hope that helps.

      Thanks for responding

      Doug
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic