13166Re: [Clip] String Interpretation (was ^!If Bug ?)

  • John Mitchell
    Jan 6, 2005
      Jody, RS, Don, Alan, and anyone else I have missed.

      Thanks for your help with this. Time delays in the arrival of replies
      have extended this discussion but it has all been useful input.

      Jody, perhaps the next release of the documentation/help could be
      amended to include a mention of ">>".

      More generally, I expect I'm not alone in my level of confusion with the
      way that strings are interpreted in NTB so some clear guidance, with
      examples, would also be a welcome addition to the docs. Here's an
      example of what I mean.

      ^!Set %a%="ASDF"
      ^!Set %b%="ZXCV"
      ^!Set %c%=^%a%^%b%
      ^!Set %d%=^%a%"ZXCV"
      ^!Info ^%a%^%b%
      ; .......... Displays ASDFZXCV (expected)
      ^!Info ^%c%
      ; .......... Displays ASDFZXCV (expected)
      ^!Info ^%d%
      ; .......... Displays ASDF"ZXCV" (inconsistent?)

      For consistency, I'd expect quotes to *always* be treated as string
      delimeters unless escaped. This is apparently not the case.

      Regards, John Mitchell