13135Re: [Clip] ^!Keyboard malfunction

    Jan 4, 2005
      Hi Abair,

      You must think I'm a geek. :-)

      >> The reason, most likely, that it is intermittently failing
      >> intermittently failing is because you are getting lower on
      >> resources or higher cpu activity when you run it.
      >This brings up the question of what NoteTab loads into memory,
      >when you load a clip library, or a clip.
      >When NT loads a new library, does it load all clips in it? Or
      >does it wait to load individual clips, as they are run?

      NoteTab loads the whole Library into memory, I think, by what I
      have written below from the past. It may be a combination of
      both. I say that because I believe the Clips are loaded, but
      obviously not executing until clicked on or called by another
      Clip. I'll ask Eric when he comes up for a breather - he's deep
      in programming now I believe; he's been extremely quite. ;)

      There's also a parsing sequence, from: Help | Help on Clip
      Programming | Parsing and evaluation sequence...

      A. Whole Clip

      1. Comments removed
      2. Date fields evaluated ^[...^] (old format)
      3. Text selection inserted if ^& found
      4. ^!CONTINUE command executed if on first line
      5. Clip wizard based on ^?[...] fields displayed
      6. Mathematical fields evaluated ^$[...] (old format)

      B. Line by line

      1. Variables resolved (from right to left)
      2. Document name using ^*, ^**, ^#, ^## codes resolved
      3. Functions resolved (from right to left)
      4. Clip wizard based on ^?{...} fields in line displayed
      5. Clip Command executed

      >I have mysterious slow-downs in NoteTab, that I'd like to pin on
      >something <g>. Some of my libraries seem to slow things down more
      >than others.

      Some of the things that can slow up NoteTab are RegExp, continuos
      looping, working with files that are large and have a lot of
      highlighting needing screen updating going on, and the following.
      It doesn't play as much of a part as it did on Win98/ME machines
      when RAM wasn't as much on machines as it is today. Win98 is
      super bad about memory leaks.

      Windows has basically three types of memories: RAM, Virtual Memory
      (your hard disk), and a small section of RAM used for storing
      Windows object handles. When Windows runs out of system resources,
      it may have plenty of RAM left, but it runs out of space for storing
      handles. This is often when funny things start happening like the
      tab bar displaying blank tabs, or the Toolbar showing no icons. As
      more and more memory is needed closing the gap of memory available
      errors will start happening, the most common access violations.

      This link (if still good) is to a PC Magazine article about system
      resource problems. It mentions five types of memories:

      The following may be helpful as well:

      Display problems is usually the first visible sign of being low
      on the resources it takes to paint the different objects in a
      window. Sometimes, a better video card with more memory can help
      or the latest drivers. More RAM will always help out system
      performance! Windows XP/2000 are very good about releasing
      resources and being able to run more programs simultaneously.

      These are things to check in general. The more the registry gets
      congested, the more fonts that are installed, utilities running in
      the background, the slower programs open in general. Viruses can
      slow programs down loading. Having a lot of programs in your
      startup group or Run keys in the registry. Sometimes doing a
      scandisk and defragment help.

      Only libraries open in the Clipbook window will occupy RAM. The
      more items, and the larger the Clips, the more RAM it uses up.
      Running Clips that create variables will take another chunk from
      RAM. Closing the Clipbook window will free several handles which
      occupy the third type of memory.

      Large amounts of Favorites and long lists slow down the loading
      of NoteTab and use up a fair amount of RAM.

      A large Undo limit size. "Large Undo Limit" is dependant on how
      many documents you open, not necessarily the limit you have
      NoteTab configured for in View | Options | Advanced. It should
      rarely be a problem though if you open less than 50 documents at
      a time.

      A large number of Libraries on the button bar would also take up
      extra resources. Each button requires a Windows handle. Tools
      on the Toolbar and the Clipbar also use the mentioned handles as
      do the document tabs.

      >If I have many goto labels in a clip, do they eat memory resources?
      >Do arrays eat more resources, than individual variables?
      >I mean, does an array of 5 elements eat more, than 5 separate

      Those are all questions for Eric; I don't know myself. It would
      be best to make some test Clips to see for yourself. My
      experience off the top of my head seems to be that arrays do not
      eat up a lot of memory. They all seem to run fast to me and I
      have some huge ones when working with directories. And, when
      speaking of small amounts it is so fast anyway that what memory
      is used is released faster than we can think about it. <g>

      I have found a significant difference in speed when working
      directly in memory with NoteTab when possible over working say
      within a document. Something like ^!SetClipboard ^$StrReplace(...)$
      to me is faster than ^!Replace.

      >DO INI variables eat memory? or are they reloaded on each use? Is
      >it more efficient to use GetValue(INIVarname) than to assign this
      >value to a variable?

      Beats me. ;)

      >One more question: What happens, if a INI variable value contains
      >more than the maximum 1024 characters?

      I don't know. Why don't you test it and let us know. 8D

      After you make some tests, refine your questions and I'll see if
      Eric has the time to answer what you cannot test. I think a lot
      of it can be tested for speed anyway using start and stop times
      since you can get it down to the second. Just make large enough
      operations that they will take a little while to complete.