12674Re: [Clip] Hyperlinks to run programs

  • John Mitchell
    Nov 4, 2004
      Windows maintains a set of system variables which you can list with a
      SET command entered in a DOS command prompt window. For example:

      ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
      PROMPT=$P$G
      SESSIONNAME=Console
      SystemDrive=C:
      SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS

      If NTB supported these the same as in a BAT file then..

      [%systemroot%\%programfiles%\Notetab Pro\notepro c:\sample.txt]

      ..would do the trick. Sadly, this doesn't seem to work.

      Regards, John M

      Jelks Cabaniss wrote:

      > I posted the query below to the regular Notetab list, but it may
      > have been a little beyond that audience. Some of you clip gurus
      > here might have run into this before...
      >

      > One of the great things about NoteTab are links in plain .txt
      > documents, like [this] -- double-clicking the word "this" in those
      > brackets opens "this.txt".
      >
      > But it can also run programs -- *without* having to use clips! For
      > example:
      >
      > [notepad.exe]
      > [notepad.exe d:\MyDocs\foo.txt]
      >
      > This works because notepad.exe is in the path -- you can just as
      > easily run Notepad.exe in a command prompt without prefixing its
      > path location.
      >
      > But this:
      >
      > [excel.exe]
      >
      > does NOT work, nor does typing "excel.exe" at a command prompt,
      > because Excel is not in my %PATH%. Same with, for
      > example, "iexplore.exe".
      >
      > However, typing "start excel" (or "start iexplore") at the command
      > prompt DOES work! Why? What does XP's "start" know that the
      > ordinary command processor doesn't? (Note that the Windows
      > GUI's "Start button -> Run" apparently works similarly.)
      >
      > Here's my question: how can I run Excel, Winword, IE, etc. within a
      > hyperlink to work like the START command? I've got a working link
      > that reads something like (pardon the line wrapping) ...
      >
      > ["C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10
      > \excel.exe" "D:\MyDocs\foo\bar.xls"]
      >
      > Whew! There's got to be a better way.
      >
      > Now of course there are "workarounds" -- I could create batch files
      > for each and every one of these programs and put them in the path, I
      > could extend the %PATH%, etc., etc.
      >
      > But can an *already* "START-aware" program like Excel, etc. be
      > invoked through a hyperlink *directly* from within NoteTab Pro
      > without having to resort to these "workarounds"?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > /Jelks
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic