12304Re: [Clip] How to remove lines with certain words

  • hsavage
    Aug 6, 2004
      Palladin wrote:
      > Hi all,
      > First things first. I don't even know what a Clip is, but I posted
      > the following question in the basic area, and was told to post here,
      > as I most likely needed a Clip to achieve what I need NoteTab to do.
      > My question involves whether NoteTab has the ability to remove
      > lines from a text file that contain a certain keyword, or string.
      > What I'm doing is compiling a Hosts file to block certain undesirable
      > sites from being downloaded to my PC.
      > Anyway, here is a very small sample of what a Hosts file looks like:
      > ad.3au.doubleclick.net
      > popup.dk.doubleclick.com
      > www.greenvalley-ads.servers.net
      > ad4.popups-doubleclick.com
      > doubleclick.shockwave.com
      > www.ebay.doubleclick.net
      > www.go.ad.client-servers.com
      > gd12.doubleclick.serverclient.net
      > There's thousands of these "hosts", or websites, in my Hosts file.
      > What I need NoteTab to do is remove all host entries that contain
      > a certain word, or "string", that I specify,
      > For instance, if I specify that NoteTab remove all entries that contain
      > the word "doubleclick" from the list above, NoteTab would delete or separate from the list 6 of the 8 hosts.
      > A keyword like "doubleclick" will remove several hundred hosts!

      I know you already have a clip from Jody to remove lines from your Hosts

      Here is yet another approach to do the same thing in a slightly
      different way. The main difference is you create the Wordlist.txt file
      prior to running the clip.

      Make a simple columnized list of the words you want removed, load the
      Hosts file into NoteTab and run the clip.

      This is a link where you can view, and copy and paste the text and
      instructions for the clip.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic