Problem accessing site

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1 6:01 AM
      Greetings,
      I cannot seem to access this site and I cannot figure out why:
      http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/1981-Southeastern-US/
      http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/1981-Southeastern-US/index.html

      There are screen shots here which might explain this better:
      http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/404/

      Any ideas?
      Mike

      ---
    • johnta1
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1 6:11 AM

        > Greetings,
        > I cannot seem to access this site and I cannot figure out why:
        > http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/1981-Southeastern-US/
        > http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/1981-Southeastern-US/index.html
        >
        > There are screen shots here which might explain this better:
        > http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/404/
        >
        > Any ideas?
        > Mike

        There is no index.htm(l) file there?

        Make sure there is an index file whether .htm, .html, .php?

        John Wallace
        Pontiac Power RULES!!!
        http://www.wallaceracing.com
        Message 3 of 16 , May 1 6:18 AM
          Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
          > There are screen shots here which might explain this better:
          > http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/404/

          There isn't that much to go on, so I'll guess wildly. You normally stick to
          lower case in your URLs. Is your server set up to convert all HTTP requests
          to lower case and make your upper case directory inaccessible?

          Axel
        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          Message 4 of 16 , May 1 6:20 AM
            On 5/1/2014 9:11 AM, johnta1@... wrote:

            > > Greetings,
            > > I cannot seem to access this site and I cannot figure out why:
            > > http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/1981-Southeastern-US/
            > >
            > http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/1981-Southeastern-US/index.html
            > >
            > > There are screen shots here which might explain this better:
            > > http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/404/
            > >
            > > Any ideas?
            > > Mike
            > >

            > There is no index.htm(l) file there?

            Yes. There is an index file.
            See:http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/404/FTP_client.jpg

            Thanks,
            -mb

            > Make sure there is an index file whether .htm, .html, .php?
            >
            > John Wallace
            > Pontiac Power RULES!!!
            > http://www.wallaceracing.com

            ---
          • johnta1
            Message 5 of 16 , May 1 7:32 AM
              >> There is no index.htm(l) file there?
              >
              > Yes. There is an index file.
              > See:http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/404/FTP_client.jpg
              >
              > Thanks,
              > -mb

              Hmmm.....

              Maybe the hyphen is doing it?
              Your other directories look like they use an underscore?

              John Wallace
              Pontiac Power RULES!!!
              http://www.wallaceracing.com
            • johnta1
              Message 6 of 16 , May 1 7:37 AM
                >> There is no index.htm(l) file there?
                >
                > Yes. There is an index file.
                > See:http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/404/FTP_client.jpg
                >
                > Thanks,
                > -mb

                Also might check what the char-mod is on the files?
                char-mod of the directory?

                John Wallace
                Pontiac Power RULES!!!
                http://www.wallaceracing.com
              • Greg Chapman
                Message 7 of 16 , May 1 8:03 AM
                  Hi Mike,

                  On 01 May 14 14:01 Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                  <mike@...> said:
                  > I cannot seem to access this site and I cannot figure out why:
                  >

                  > http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/1981-Southeastern-US/
                  >

                  > http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/1981-Southeastern-US/index.html
                  >
                  > There are screen shots here which might explain this better:
                  > http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/404/
                  >
                  > Any ideas?

                  Not many! As you'll be aware a 404 error received from a server
                  indicates that the page requested does not exist.

                  I did not spot any typos or other reasons for the index.html file not
                  displaying.

                  I also tried to access some of the other files indicated on the jpg
                  (d_knob.jpg, birdlist.txt, birdlist.htm, etc) and all of them also
                  failed with 404.

                  That either suggests the screen shot is out of date or, parhaps more
                  likely and as other have suggested, there is a something unusual in
                  the settings on the server.

                  Greg
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 1 8:14 AM
                    johnta1@... wrote:
                    > Maybe the hyphen is doing it?

                    No, from 8.3 filenames to URLs this is a totally innocuous and legal letter
                    and part of very many of my own URLs and online filenames.

                    Axel
                  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 1 9:39 AM
                      n 5/1/2014 10:32 AM, johnta1@... wrote:

                      > >> There is no index.htm(l) file there?
                      > > Yes. There is an index file.
                      > > See:http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/404/FTP_client.jpg
                      > > Thanks, -mb
                      >
                      > Hmmm.....
                      > Maybe the hyphen is doing it?
                      > Your other directories look like they use an underscore?

                      I don't think so. This one works fine with both underscores and a dash:
                      http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/central_states_north_trip_june_2-15_1977/
                      -mb

                      ---
                    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 1 9:44 AM
                        On 5/1/2014 11:03 AM, Greg Chapman wrote:

                        > That either suggests the screen shot is out of date or, parhaps more
                        > likely and as other have suggested, there is a something unusual in
                        > the settings on the server. Greg

                        The screen shot was taken this morning.

                        I just updated a "clean" index file and I still get the 404.
                        I think it is indeed a problem server side.

                        I will contact tech support and see if they can figger it out.

                        Thanks to all for the feedback.
                        -Mike

                        ---
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 1 10:06 AM
                          Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                          > I will contact tech support and see if they can figger it out.

                          Have you tried renaming the folder to all lowercase on the server as I
                          suggested? If not, why not?

                          Axel
                        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 1 10:14 AM
                            On 5/1/2014 1:06 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
                            > Have you tried renaming the folder to all lowercase on the server as I
                            > suggested?

                            Nope.
                            > If not, why not? Axel

                            I missed that email. ;)

                            But, I just created a new
                            directory:/epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/1981-southeastern-us
                            It loads fine.

                            So, I renamed the original folder to all lower case.
                            It still will not load.

                            Thanks, Axel.
                            -mb

                            ---
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 1 10:57 AM
                              Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                              > So, I renamed the original folder to all lower case.
                              > It still will not load.

                              FTP across different OSs does funny things. Best to delete everything and
                              make a complete new upload.

                              Axel
                            • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 1 11:40 AM
                                On 5/1/2014 1:57 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
                                > FTP across different OSs does funny things.
                                Never had the problem before.

                                > Best to delete everything and make a complete new upload.

                                I am going to wait until I hear from the techies.
                                Thanks,
                                -Mike

                                > Axel

                                ---
                              • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 1 11:52 AM
                                  On 5/1/2014 1:57 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
                                  > Best to delete everything and make a complete new upload.

                                  Axel! Good advise.
                                  I did not deleted but uploaded all the files to a new directory and all
                                  is well.
                                  It will be interesting to see what tech support says is the problem.
                                  See:
                                  http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/web/
                                  Thanks,
                                  -Mike

                                  ---
                                • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 1 4:17 PM
                                    Here is what the problem was:
                                    "As I have checked you had incorrect permissions for
                                    epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/1981-Southeastern-US/ folder. I
                                    have set default folder permissions (755) for your folder. Your site
                                    works fine from my side now. Please recheck it from yours - Tech Support."

                                    I have no idea why the permission leve was changed or when I did it or
                                    if I intendted to do it.I have not worked on this site in sereral years.

                                    Thanks to all.-Mike
                                    ===================================

                                    On 5/1/2014 9:01 AM, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:

                                    > Greetings,
                                    > I cannot seem to access this site and I cannot figure out why:
                                    > http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/1981-Southeastern-US/
                                    > http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/1981-Southeastern-US/index.html
                                    >
                                    > There are screen shots here which might explain this better:
                                    > http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/404/
                                    >
                                    > Any ideas?
                                    > Mike
                                    >
                                    > ---