Neo Yahoo Groups

  • silvermoonwoman2001
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 2, 2013
      Yahoo's latest Ill-conceived makeover for Groups is being rolled out to unsuspecting users and its not pretty. No search, links won't work, "conversations" instead of threads, lots of problems, no doubt inspired by Facebook. I was hit by the update several days ago. Anyone else? If so you can give Yahoo feedback here http://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/209451
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 2, 2013
        Sheri: I just saw it in response to your message.
        It looks like its changed but *possibly* for the better.
        Search still works ... while in a group use search bar at top and click
        [search groups] (eg. in [Clips] I searched for [duplicate] and then for
        [jody] Search was restricted to the [Clips] group

        Conversation display does a good job at not displaying quoted text with
        an expand [...] widget to show it.

        I'm not sure its so much inspired by Facebook as the general face-lift
        given to all Yahoo sub-sites.
        FWIW - I've read elsewhere that the new CEO Marissa Mayer seems to be
        getting good reviews for her work to date.

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 2, 2013
            Sheri - looks like I do have it.
            This is the URL I get if I click [Messages in this topic (3)] at the
            bottom of your message:

            I now see what you meant by:
            > The search function accepts only numbers as in message numbers.

            see http://screencast.com/t/bTK31MqK - red arrow wrong / green arrow
            correct.

            Searching in ntb-Offtopic for non existent stuff gives a somewhat
            confusing error message.
            setup Search: http://screencast.com/t/J7MKPXF8L (ie. looking for
            [text_will_not_be_found)
            -- see: http://screencast.com/t/J7MKPXF8L
            Error message (confusing) http://screencast.com/t/k4csvaATRRjl

            Note: some other searches in this group that "ought" to find hits failed.
            Hopefully this is just teething problem?

            However switching to ntb-clips group successfully finds [jody OR eric]
            setup: http://screencast.com/t/rRATWbTNX

            results: on clicking [Search groups] see: http://screencast.com/t/OW58ZIy2c

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 2, 2013
              Alec Burgess wrote:
              > Sheri - looks like I do have it.

              Will this affect me as a sole user of the offline reader mailing list
              interface? I notice that Alec's messages are threaded and allow me to go
              back to the one he replied to while Sheri's aren't.

              Personally I'd rather become a hermite than degrade myself to the level
              of web fora.

              Axel
            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 2, 2013
                On 2013-09-02 19:06, Axel Berger wrote:
                > Alec Burgess wrote:
                > > Sheri - looks like I do have it.
                >
                > Will this affect me as a sole user of the offline reader mailing list
                > interface? I notice that Alec's messages are threaded and allow me to go
                > back to the one he replied to while Sheri's aren't.
                >
                > Personally I'd rather become a hermite than degrade myself to the level
                > of web fora.

                If I understand "rather become a hermite than degrade myself to the level
                of web fora." you mean reading and responding in your email client (eg.
                Thunderbird) then I think you are OK.
                That's how I use yahoo groups myself.

                I think I remember Sheri saying some years ago that she follows
                most/all(?) yahoo groups on line - maybe that accounts for the difference.
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 2, 2013
                  Alec Burgess wrote:
                  > maybe that accounts for the difference.

                  Quite possibly. One small reason for sticking to this way. As long as
                  that continues to work, I don't care (or at least very little) what
                  Yahoo do or don't do to their web interfaces.

                  Axel
                • Greg Chapman
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 4, 2013
                    On 02 Sep 13 19:04 <silvermoonwoman@...> said:
                    > Yahoo's latest Ill-conceived makeover for Groups is being rolled
                    > out to unsuspecting users and its not pretty. No search, links
                    > won't work, "conversations" instead of threads, lots
                    > of problems, no doubt inspired by Facebook. I was hit by the update
                    > several days ago. Anyone else? If so you can give Yahoo feedback
                    > here http://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/209451

                    Aaargh!

                    Just had my first message in the Basic List for a few days!

                    It's arrived as an HTML message.

                    How do I get my "Traditional" mail back again, without all the
                    bandwidth-wasting HTML garbage that won't display in my Plain Text
                    mail client. I can't find the option in the new "Neo" interface!

                    Greg
                  • Adrien Verlee
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 5, 2013
                      Op 4/09/2013 21:02, Greg Chapman schreef:
                      > How do I get my "Traditional" mail back again, without all the
                      > bandwidth-wasting HTML garbage that won't display in my Plain Text
                      > mail client. I can't find the option in the new "Neo" interface!

                      I can't even (re)sign-in. Phone number is required. But I won't give,
                      that is privat.
                      That earns tons of dollars and do not think about such an elementary
                      case ... Congratulations Yahoo for this unnecessary 'cleverness'.

                      If this goes, then it's simply: goodbye Yahoo and Notetab!.
                      --
                      adrien
                      - Ongedeelde informatie = verloren informatie -
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 5, 2013
                        Op woensdag 4 september 2013 21:02 schreef Greg Chapman:

                        > Just had my first message in the Basic List for a few days!
                        > It's arrived as an HTML message.
                        >
                        > How do I get my "Traditional" mail back again, without all the
                        > bandwidth-wasting HTML garbage that won't display in my Plain Text
                        > mail client. I can't find the option in the new "Neo" interface!

                        The answer is at the bottom of every message:

                        > Your email settings:
                        > Individual Email | Traditional
                        >
                        > To change settings online go to:
                        > (Yahoo! ID required)

                        Alex.
                      • Greg Chapman
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 5, 2013
                          Hi Alex,

                          On 05 Sep 13 19:58 "Alex Plantema" <alex.plantema@...> said:
                          > The answer is at the bottom of every message:
                          >
                          > > Your email settings:
                          > > Individual Email | Traditional
                          > >
                          > > To change settings online go to:
                          > > (Yahoo! ID required)

                          But that's the point! The most recent [NTB] message I received came
                          through as HTML. Because of that my Plain text mail program only shows
                          the plain text part and that no longer shows the traditional footer
                          with the link your provide.

                          So far, the [NTO] list is not affected. The footer still appears and
                          the link still sends you to the old site.

                          However, if you go through the process of reconfirming "Traditional"
                          mail, the link that appears takes you to the Neo site and from there,
                          there is no route to the old site's management screen.

                          Greg
                        • Adrien Verlee
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 5, 2013
                            Op 5/09/2013 23:11, Greg Chapman schreef:
                            > So far, the [NTO] list is not affected. The footer still appears and
                            > the link still sends you to the old site.

                            On this side emailsettings in the footer is "grayed-out":

                            The link is removed and with that phonenumber-policy I can't (will) sign
                            in to change parameters/attributes.

                            This is wrong thinking of Yahoo. They need me. I do not need Yahoo!
                            --
                            www.translatie.be - Over ontologie en marxisme

                            www.marxists.org/admin/volunteers/biographies/averlee.htm
                            www.marxists.org/nederlands/

                            - Ongedeelde informatie = verloren informatie -
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 5, 2013
                              Adrien Verlee wrote:
                              > On this side emailsettings in the footer is "grayed-out":

                              I'm not going to check any of this out. As long as it works for me, I'll
                              shy away from opening the web interface. But my footers say:

                              Presumably (I wouldn't know) the HTML footers list the the third option
                              to switch to text mail.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 5, 2013
                                Axel Berger wrote:
                                > But my footers say:

                                > [nothing]

                                Nice one, Yahoo. Just throw away what I've written, why don't you. I'll
                                try to hide it from them so they won't steal it again:

                                To change settings via email:
                                ntb-OffTopic-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                ntb-OffTopic-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                Axel
                              • Alec Burgess
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 5, 2013
                                  I think the one for text-only is:

                                  ntb-OffTopic-traditional@yahoogroups.com
                                  with subject=Change Delivery Format: Traditional"