Re: [NTO] Find all recent files with DOS - addendum

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2013
      Before anyone puts any effort on this, I just realized that I must
      ask him what version of Windows he has. AFAIK XP and newer doesn't
      have DOS. Maybe he only thinks he has it. I guess he, unlike me, is
      sleeping now. I'll be back when I know.

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
        loro wrote:
        > Is it possible to find all files after a certain date and display a
        > list of them and delete them? Any other ideas?

        dir /s /od C:\*.* > list.txt

        should do it. It lists ALL the files but sorts them by age, newest
        first, so you can work through the list from the top and stop when
        appropriate.

        Apart from that, while it is possible to hobble along for quite a long
        way, I've done it, there does come a moment when it's finally time to
        knuckle down and do a full, fresh, clean install. It seems that time has
        now come.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
          loro wrote:
          > AFAIK XP and newer doesn't have DOS.

          Correct. but if he tells you, he can still boot to DOS and can list
          directories, then I'd take him by his word until proven otherwise.
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 13, 2013
            At 13:31 2013-02-11, you wrote:
            >loro wrote:
            > > Is it possible to find all files after a certain date and display a
            > > list of them and delete them? Any other ideas?
            >
            >dir /s /od C:\*.* > list.txt

            Thanks, Axel. All suggestions forwarded, but last I heard he had got
            hold of a loaner computer and I hope he goes with what I suggested,
            buys one of those cheap boxes (sorry, don't know the English word)
            that you put a HD in and you can connect it through USB and then does
            his cleanup that way from the loaner. Seems simpler and he can back
            up his stuff at the same time, which he hadn't before.

            Ltta