Find all recent files with DOS

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2013
      Hi!

      I'm trying to help a virtual friend whose computer has hung/is
      crashing. It's a lap top. He can't even boot in Safe Mode, only in
      DOS. He has access to one other computer, an older one that only
      works intermittently.

      He says he has been able to "fix it" before by deleting recent files,
      but then he has got in in Safe Mode. I'm not sure that's the best
      thing to do, but it is what he wants to try. I only know DOS basics
      and that's on a good day, but I know some of you are better versed
      when it comes to DOS and Batch scripting, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

      Is it possible to find all files after a certain date and display a
      list of them and delete them? Any other ideas?

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2013
        Before anyone puts any effort on this, I just realized that I must
        ask him what version of Windows he has. AFAIK XP and newer doesn't
        have DOS. Maybe he only thinks he has it. I guess he, unlike me, is
        sleeping now. I'll be back when I know.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
          loro wrote:
          > Is it possible to find all files after a certain date and display a
          > list of them and delete them? Any other ideas?

          dir /s /od C:\*.* > list.txt

          should do it. It lists ALL the files but sorts them by age, newest
          first, so you can work through the list from the top and stop when
          appropriate.

          Apart from that, while it is possible to hobble along for quite a long
          way, I've done it, there does come a moment when it's finally time to
          knuckle down and do a full, fresh, clean install. It seems that time has
          now come.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
            loro wrote:
            > AFAIK XP and newer doesn't have DOS.

            Correct. but if he tells you, he can still boot to DOS and can list
            directories, then I'd take him by his word until proven otherwise.
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 13, 2013
              At 13:31 2013-02-11, you wrote:
              >loro wrote:
              > > Is it possible to find all files after a certain date and display a
              > > list of them and delete them? Any other ideas?
              >
              >dir /s /od C:\*.* > list.txt

              Thanks, Axel. All suggestions forwarded, but last I heard he had got
              hold of a loaner computer and I hope he goes with what I suggested,
              buys one of those cheap boxes (sorry, don't know the English word)
              that you put a HD in and you can connect it through USB and then does
              his cleanup that way from the loaner. Seems simpler and he can back
              up his stuff at the same time, which he hadn't before.

              Ltta