Re: [NTO] Looking for OPINIONS!!!

  • Mick Housel
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2012
      Hi Harvey,

      I'd have to agree with Sheri. I have a number of MS & other
      certifications, etc. but I also can be one of the most critical of
      things that appear out of Royal Redmond. I think they got Win8 right,
      it's definitely a bit different than Win 7 but isn't a giant leap. It is
      faster than 7, both in processing and boot up time. It's been a couple
      years since I built my current machine and I was thinking recently that
      I needed to do a clean install with Windows. After this many months of
      heavy use, installing and testing some different software, etc., it's
      time to do a clean install and start afresh. I wasn't sure if I'd put
      Win7 back or go with Win8. After installing Win8 on what I call our
      "public pc", one available for visiting friends and family, I'm here to
      say that while I haven't figured out all the nuances yet, I like what
      I've seen.

      You'll definitely want to increase the RAM to at least 4 gig for 64bit
      or 2 gig for 32bit, at a minimum. Those are the minimum amounts I'd use
      for either and as always of course, the more RAM the merrier. Those
      recommendations stand for Win 7 or 8.

      For those that do web pages I also found that XAMPP (version 1.81)
      installed quickly and easily on Win8 and I had a useable "server" within
      just a few minutes. XAMPP isn't a complete replacement for a full server
      but it's always worked quite well for me in the windows environment for
      development and testing.

      The dear missus was houndin ... ummm, asking me what I might want for
      Christmas recently. ;) I think a new SSD drive and a bit more RAM will
      extend the useful life of this system for a bit, before it's time to
      consider moving on to the latest and greatest for the next purchase.

      My 2¢ worth.

      Mick

      - - -
      Mick Housel motomania @at@ mickhousel dot com
      ±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±

      Talking about Laguna Seca . . . "I mean, everywhere's
      pretty fun. Turn 1's, like I said, that scary, draws
      your nut-sack up in your stomach fun." - Ben Spies

      On 11/30/12 16:42, hsavage wrote:
      > I'm considering upgrading one of my computers, a desktop, from Windows
      > XP Pro, to Windows 8. Question is, would this be a worthwhile upgrade?
      >
      > Opinions solicited!

    • Harold Noffke
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2012
        Definitely!

        Microsoft is phasing out WinXP, and, IMHO, W7x64 works a whole lot more
        intuitively. I’m not a Win8 aficionado, so I'll stay with W7 until
        Microsoft issues another really useful OS.

        RetiredEngineer1

        I'm considering upgrading one of my computers, a desktop, from Windows XP
        Pro, to Windows 8. Question is, would this be a worthwhile upgrade?

        Opinions solicited!

        ¤. JD#...335 - ¤. SL...1068 - 12.11.30~07.49.15

        . On An Established New Mexico Dry Cleaning Store:
        . Thirty-Eight Years On The Same Spot.

        EUR hrs EUR hsavage EUR pobox EUR com