[NTO] Re: Looking for OPINIONS!!!

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2012
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

      > I'm also pleased to hear I can install Win8 and dual boot
      > XP. That way if I become frustrated with Win8 I can drop
      > back to XP for a break, and, above all I must have NotePro
      > working. I use it more than any other software.

      I don't think you'll be getting any help from the installer on dual booting. What you'll need to do is either install Windows 8 on a separate primary partition on the same drive or else on a separate hard disk from XP, then afterwards edit the boot menu. If you do the digital download through the upgrade assistant instead of proceeding directly to install Windows 8, you'll need to create a bootable install media (dvd or usb, depending on what your XP box can boot from, and you may need to change a bios option to allow booting from one of the above).

      The upgrade assistant will assist e.g. in burning a bootable install dvd. Once you have it, you can boot from the media and direct the installation to the proper destination. If installing to a separate hard disk you could even unplug the XP drive to be certain it is unaffected during the install. Later you'd reconnect it. Then at worse you'd have to temporarily change the boot order in BIOS to boot XP.

      Regards,
      Sheri
    • Mick Housel
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2012
        Hi Harvey,

        I'd have to agree with Sheri. I have a number of MS & other
        certifications, etc. but I also can be one of the most critical of
        things that appear out of Royal Redmond. I think they got Win8 right,
        it's definitely a bit different than Win 7 but isn't a giant leap. It is
        faster than 7, both in processing and boot up time. It's been a couple
        years since I built my current machine and I was thinking recently that
        I needed to do a clean install with Windows. After this many months of
        heavy use, installing and testing some different software, etc., it's
        time to do a clean install and start afresh. I wasn't sure if I'd put
        Win7 back or go with Win8. After installing Win8 on what I call our
        "public pc", one available for visiting friends and family, I'm here to
        say that while I haven't figured out all the nuances yet, I like what
        I've seen.

        You'll definitely want to increase the RAM to at least 4 gig for 64bit
        or 2 gig for 32bit, at a minimum. Those are the minimum amounts I'd use
        for either and as always of course, the more RAM the merrier. Those
        recommendations stand for Win 7 or 8.

        For those that do web pages I also found that XAMPP (version 1.81)
        installed quickly and easily on Win8 and I had a useable "server" within
        just a few minutes. XAMPP isn't a complete replacement for a full server
        but it's always worked quite well for me in the windows environment for
        development and testing.

        The dear missus was houndin ... ummm, asking me what I might want for
        Christmas recently. ;) I think a new SSD drive and a bit more RAM will
        extend the useful life of this system for a bit, before it's time to
        consider moving on to the latest and greatest for the next purchase.

        My 2¢ worth.

        Mick

        - - -
        Mick Housel motomania @at@ mickhousel dot com
        ±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±

        Talking about Laguna Seca . . . "I mean, everywhere's
        pretty fun. Turn 1's, like I said, that scary, draws
        your nut-sack up in your stomach fun." - Ben Spies

        On 11/30/12 16:42, hsavage wrote:
        > I'm considering upgrading one of my computers, a desktop, from Windows
        > XP Pro, to Windows 8. Question is, would this be a worthwhile upgrade?
        >
        > Opinions solicited!

      • Harold Noffke
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2012
          Definitely!

          Microsoft is phasing out WinXP, and, IMHO, W7x64 works a whole lot more
          intuitively. I’m not a Win8 aficionado, so I'll stay with W7 until
          Microsoft issues another really useful OS.

          RetiredEngineer1

          I'm considering upgrading one of my computers, a desktop, from Windows XP
          Pro, to Windows 8. Question is, would this be a worthwhile upgrade?

          Opinions solicited!

          ¤. JD#...335 - ¤. SL...1068 - 12.11.30~07.49.15

          . On An Established New Mexico Dry Cleaning Store:
          . Thirty-Eight Years On The Same Spot.

          EUR hrs EUR hsavage EUR pobox EUR com