Re: Looking for OPINIONS!!!

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 30, 2012
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

      > I'm considering upgrading one of my computers, a desktop,
      > from Windows XP Pro, to Windows 8. Question is, would this
      > be a worthwhile upgrade?
      >
      > Opinions solicited!

      Hi Harvey,

      I recently retired my XP Pro computer hardware and got a new system that came with Windows 7 (64-bit). I had the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 8 and took it. I don't regret it. I didn't run Windows 7 very long, but I found both 7 and 8 to be worthwhile advancements over XP. Version 8 is faster than 7 and has lesser hardware requirements than 7. My hardware was old and dying, but it would not have been able to run Windows 8. My old CPU didn't support certain SSE instructions.

      There is an upgrade assistant you can download to see if your system meets the minimum requirements. If so, you should be able to install it to dual boot with XP, but you can't do an in-place upgrade from XP to 8. So you will have to reinstall software. Some software is not compatible. The upgrade assistant should identify incompatibilities. For me it identified Office 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 7. Despite allegedly incompatibility, Office 2003 is running fine after my in-place update from Windows 7. Acrobat didn't work right even in Windows 7. NoteTab runs fine.

      Since my new system has ample space and memory I decided to try to resurrect my XP system in a virtual machine using Oracle's Virtualbox software. It worked, so I have Acrobat and all my other old software back when I want it after all.

      Windows 8 does take some getting used to, but for me the adjustment was less than expected. If you find you miss the Start button, there are a bunch of 3rd party freebies to get it back.

      Let me know if you have any specific questions.

      Regards,
      Sheri
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 30, 2012
        On 11/30/2012 6:55 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
        > hsavage wrote:
        >> to Windows 8. Question is, would this be a worthwhile upgrade?
        >> Opinions solicited!
        >
        > My opinion can, I think, be taken as given, so let's stick to facts.
        > With all it is supposed to do in the background, won't it need more
        > memory than your machine can take and make it excruciatingly slow? Can
        > you try before you pay?
        >
        > Axel

        Axel,

        My XP has, what is called, 2 gb of ram. The main reason I don't have
        more is that a computer tech told me XP can't access more, at least,
        efficiently. I haven't had the cover off for a while but I know there's
        room for more ram if needed.

        Thanks for the reply.

        ¤. JD#...336 - ¤. SL...1074 - 12.12.01~01.04.56

        . On The Other Hand,
        . You Have Different Fingers

        EUR hrs EUR hsavage EUR pobox EUR com^

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 30, 2012
          On 11/30/2012 11:28 PM, Sheri wrote:
          > --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> I'm considering upgrading one of my computers, a desktop,
          >> from Windows XP Pro, to Windows 8. Question is, would this
          >> be a worthwhile upgrade?
          >>
          >> Opinions solicited!
          >
          > Hi Harvey,
          >
          > I recently retired my XP Pro computer hardware and got a new system
          that came with Windows 7 (64-bit). I had the opportunity to upgrade to
          Windows 8 and took it. I don't regret it. I didn't run Windows 7 very
          long, but I found both 7 and 8 to be worthwhile advancements over XP.
          Version 8 is faster than 7 and has lesser hardware requirements than 7.
          My hardware was old and dying, but it would not have been able to run
          Windows 8. My old CPU didn't support certain SSE instructions.

          > There is an upgrade assistant you can download to see if your system
          meets the minimum requirements. If so, you should be able to install it
          to dual boot with XP, but you can't do an in-place upgrade from XP to 8.
          So you will have to reinstall software. Some software is not compatible.
          The upgrade assistant should identify incompatibilities. For me it
          identified Office 2003 and Adobe Acrobat 7. Despite allegedly
          incompatibility, Office 2003 is running fine after my in-place update
          from Windows 7. Acrobat didn't work right even in Windows 7. NoteTab
          runs fine.

          > Since my new system has ample space and memory I decided to try to
          resurrect my XP system in a virtual machine using Oracle's Virtualbox
          software. It worked, so I have Acrobat and all my other old software
          back when I want it after all.

          > Windows 8 does take some getting used to, but for me the adjustment
          was less than expected. If you find you miss the Start button, there are
          a bunch of 3rd party freebies to get it back.

          > Let me know if you have any specific questions.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Sheri

          Sheri,

          First, let me say, I had already downloaded and run the MS Upgrade
          Assistant. Apparently my desktop is upgradable and I will increase the ram.

          I have a laptop with Win7 64bit. I have/am considered/considering,
          possibly, upgrading both and your review is encouraging to that end.

          I'm also pleased to hear I can install Win8 and dual boot XP. That way
          if I become frustrated with Win8 I can drop back to XP for a break, and,
          above all I must have NotePro working. I use it more than any other
          software.

          Also, I may take advantage of your offer to help with specific
          questions, very much appreciated.

          ¤. JD#...336 - ¤. SL...1074 - 12.12.01~01.16.24

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2012
            Sheri wrote:
            > Version 8 is faster than 7 and has lesser hardware requirements

            So I was wrong, so my comments are irrelevant.
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1, 2012
              On 12/1/2012 5:54 AM, Axel Berger wrote:
              > Sheri wrote:
              >> Version 8 is faster than 7 and has lesser hardware requirements
              >
              > So I was wrong, so my comments are irrelevant.

              Axel,

              We all get our days in the barrel! This surprised me too.

              ¤. JD#...336 - ¤. SL...1077 - 12.12.01~09.38.08

              . Only Irish Coffee, In A Single Glass,
              . Provides All Four Essential Food Groups:
              . Alcohol, Caffeine, Sugar And Fat.

              . --Alex Levine

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 1, 2012
                --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

                > I'm also pleased to hear I can install Win8 and dual boot
                > XP. That way if I become frustrated with Win8 I can drop
                > back to XP for a break, and, above all I must have NotePro
                > working. I use it more than any other software.

                I don't think you'll be getting any help from the installer on dual booting. What you'll need to do is either install Windows 8 on a separate primary partition on the same drive or else on a separate hard disk from XP, then afterwards edit the boot menu. If you do the digital download through the upgrade assistant instead of proceeding directly to install Windows 8, you'll need to create a bootable install media (dvd or usb, depending on what your XP box can boot from, and you may need to change a bios option to allow booting from one of the above).

                The upgrade assistant will assist e.g. in burning a bootable install dvd. Once you have it, you can boot from the media and direct the installation to the proper destination. If installing to a separate hard disk you could even unplug the XP drive to be certain it is unaffected during the install. Later you'd reconnect it. Then at worse you'd have to temporarily change the boot order in BIOS to boot XP.

                Regards,
                Sheri
              • Mick Housel
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 1, 2012
                  Hi Harvey,

                  I'd have to agree with Sheri. I have a number of MS & other
                  certifications, etc. but I also can be one of the most critical of
                  things that appear out of Royal Redmond. I think they got Win8 right,
                  it's definitely a bit different than Win 7 but isn't a giant leap. It is
                  faster than 7, both in processing and boot up time. It's been a couple
                  years since I built my current machine and I was thinking recently that
                  I needed to do a clean install with Windows. After this many months of
                  heavy use, installing and testing some different software, etc., it's
                  time to do a clean install and start afresh. I wasn't sure if I'd put
                  Win7 back or go with Win8. After installing Win8 on what I call our
                  "public pc", one available for visiting friends and family, I'm here to
                  say that while I haven't figured out all the nuances yet, I like what
                  I've seen.

                  You'll definitely want to increase the RAM to at least 4 gig for 64bit
                  or 2 gig for 32bit, at a minimum. Those are the minimum amounts I'd use
                  for either and as always of course, the more RAM the merrier. Those
                  recommendations stand for Win 7 or 8.

                  For those that do web pages I also found that XAMPP (version 1.81)
                  installed quickly and easily on Win8 and I had a useable "server" within
                  just a few minutes. XAMPP isn't a complete replacement for a full server
                  but it's always worked quite well for me in the windows environment for
                  development and testing.

                  The dear missus was houndin ... ummm, asking me what I might want for
                  Christmas recently. ;) I think a new SSD drive and a bit more RAM will
                  extend the useful life of this system for a bit, before it's time to
                  consider moving on to the latest and greatest for the next purchase.

                  My 2¢ worth.

                  Mick

                  - - -
                  Mick Housel motomania @at@ mickhousel dot com
                  ±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±•¦•±

                  Talking about Laguna Seca . . . "I mean, everywhere's
                  pretty fun. Turn 1's, like I said, that scary, draws
                  your nut-sack up in your stomach fun." - Ben Spies

                  On 11/30/12 16:42, hsavage wrote:
                  > I'm considering upgrading one of my computers, a desktop, from Windows
                  > XP Pro, to Windows 8. Question is, would this be a worthwhile upgrade?
                  >
                  > Opinions solicited!

                • Harold Noffke
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 1, 2012
                    Definitely!

                    Microsoft is phasing out WinXP, and, IMHO, W7x64 works a whole lot more
                    intuitively. I’m not a Win8 aficionado, so I'll stay with W7 until
                    Microsoft issues another really useful OS.

                    RetiredEngineer1

                    I'm considering upgrading one of my computers, a desktop, from Windows XP
                    Pro, to Windows 8. Question is, would this be a worthwhile upgrade?

                    Opinions solicited!

                    ¤. JD#...335 - ¤. SL...1068 - 12.11.30~07.49.15

                    . On An Established New Mexico Dry Cleaning Store:
                    . Thirty-Eight Years On The Same Spot.

                    EUR hrs EUR hsavage EUR pobox EUR com