Re: [NTO] Replacing my old Eudora

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 28, 2012
      Hi Lotta: I'll recommend Thunderbird (been using it for about four
      years). I stopped updating at version 3.17 when Firefox +T'bird started
      bumping a major version every couple of weeks (or at least it seems that
      fast) just because I didn't want the hassle of wrestling with different
      versions of extensions.

      Most of what you want seems to be present in Thunderbird, including
      threading and the ability to set labels (ie. color the emails in list
      view) using filters or manually. It doesn't keep individual emails in
      separate files but all emails in a given folder are kept in a single
      file and when desired can be processed using any text editor (ie. Notetab).

      FWIW - when I used to use Outlook Express and before GMail came out I
      kept large archive ..DBX files to allow retrieval of old messages. I now
      use GMail and auto forward all received email to my POP3 ISP account,
      keeping only emails I know I'll need again and use GMail search otherwise.

      On 2012-11-28 17:43, loro wrote:
      > Eudora doesn't really cut it anymore. Before I start the tedious task
      > of installing and trying different email clients I thought I'd ask if
      > you guys have any recommendations. There used to be many Eudora users
      > here once.
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 28, 2012
        Hi Lotta,

        On 28 Nov 12 22:43 loro <tabbie@...> said:
        > Eudora doesn't really cut it anymore.

        # stored...in some text format.
        # Unix mailbox format would be nice,
        # I don't want emails and attachments baked together in a binary lump.
        # set the SMTP port for each account individually.
        # Unicode, of course

        # threaded view
        # program interfaces. Nice, clean and simple
        # easy to recognize icons
        # normal menus.

        Sounds like you need nPOPuk

        http://npopuk.org.uk/3.00/index.html

        Has everything on your list bar "labels".

        Also:
        # Portable.
        # Runs on almost any Windows platform from WinCE and WinMob to Win32
        # Fully customisable icons (Create your own!)
        # Use for favourite text editor to write/read mail
        # Plain text only! (with a few tricks to allow you to read HTML mail)

        There's lots more I could say!

        ...but then I'm biassed. I do the documentation!

        Greg Chapman
        http://npopuk.org.uk
        Supporting nPOPuk - the Portable E-Mail Client.
      • Don
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 28, 2012
          Ditto -- I like thunderbird, clean simple and can be configured. I use
          it in plain text mode and can click to html if I know the sender and
          wish to.

          On 11/28/2012 7:09 PM, Alec Burgess wrote:
          > Hi Lotta: I'll recommend Thunderbird (been using it for about four
          > years).
        • fw7oaks
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 29, 2012
            Agree that Thunderbird is worth a look, for something simpler have a peak at Postbox
            www.postbox-inc.com
            Not free, but probably worth $9,95
            HTH
            fw