Re: [NTO] Replacing my old Eudora

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 28, 2012
      Hey Lotta,

      I've tried Outlook, I've tried Thunderbird.

      I'm a stick-in-the-mud still using Eudora v7.1.0.9..,

      So I am of absolutely no help!

      Sorry,
      Julie
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 28, 2012
        Hi Lotta: I'll recommend Thunderbird (been using it for about four
        years). I stopped updating at version 3.17 when Firefox +T'bird started
        bumping a major version every couple of weeks (or at least it seems that
        fast) just because I didn't want the hassle of wrestling with different
        versions of extensions.

        Most of what you want seems to be present in Thunderbird, including
        threading and the ability to set labels (ie. color the emails in list
        view) using filters or manually. It doesn't keep individual emails in
        separate files but all emails in a given folder are kept in a single
        file and when desired can be processed using any text editor (ie. Notetab).

        FWIW - when I used to use Outlook Express and before GMail came out I
        kept large archive ..DBX files to allow retrieval of old messages. I now
        use GMail and auto forward all received email to my POP3 ISP account,
        keeping only emails I know I'll need again and use GMail search otherwise.

        On 2012-11-28 17:43, loro wrote:
        > Eudora doesn't really cut it anymore. Before I start the tedious task
        > of installing and trying different email clients I thought I'd ask if
        > you guys have any recommendations. There used to be many Eudora users
        > here once.
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 28, 2012
          Hi Lotta,

          On 28 Nov 12 22:43 loro <tabbie@...> said:
          > Eudora doesn't really cut it anymore.

          # stored...in some text format.
          # Unix mailbox format would be nice,
          # I don't want emails and attachments baked together in a binary lump.
          # set the SMTP port for each account individually.
          # Unicode, of course

          # threaded view
          # program interfaces. Nice, clean and simple
          # easy to recognize icons
          # normal menus.

          Sounds like you need nPOPuk

          http://npopuk.org.uk/3.00/index.html

          Has everything on your list bar "labels".

          Also:
          # Portable.
          # Runs on almost any Windows platform from WinCE and WinMob to Win32
          # Fully customisable icons (Create your own!)
          # Use for favourite text editor to write/read mail
          # Plain text only! (with a few tricks to allow you to read HTML mail)

          There's lots more I could say!

          ...but then I'm biassed. I do the documentation!

          Greg Chapman
          http://npopuk.org.uk
          Supporting nPOPuk - the Portable E-Mail Client.
        • Don
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 28, 2012
            Ditto -- I like thunderbird, clean simple and can be configured. I use
            it in plain text mode and can click to html if I know the sender and
            wish to.

            On 11/28/2012 7:09 PM, Alec Burgess wrote:
            > Hi Lotta: I'll recommend Thunderbird (been using it for about four
            > years).
          • fw7oaks
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 29, 2012
              Agree that Thunderbird is worth a look, for something simpler have a peak at Postbox
              www.postbox-inc.com
              Not free, but probably worth $9,95
              HTH
              fw