Replacing my old Eudora

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 28, 2012
      Hi,

      Eudora doesn't really cut it anymore. Before I start the tedious task
      of installing and trying different email clients I thought I'd ask if
      you guys have any recommendations. There used to be many Eudora users
      here once.

      One thing I feel I can't compromise with and that's how the mail is
      stored. I want it in some text format. Unix mailbox format would be
      nice, but anything text is alright I guess. I don't want emails and
      attachments baked together in a binary lump. Another thing is that I
      should be able to set the SMTP port for each account individually.
      That's actually one of the reasons I want to retire Dora. No, I'm not
      a spammer. I just want to use other SMTP services than my ISPs.
      Unicode, of course, but I guess they all have that now.

      A couple of things I'm not adamant about but would very much like to
      have. A threaded view and labels. I don't know if threaded view is
      the right term, but you know, when you can make the inbox look like a
      threaded forum, each reply under the email its a reply too. Labels I
      fear is an Eudora thing. It's simply a way of marking email headers
      in the overview window with different colors. I've used it
      extensively for email lists and private mail to and I'd miss it
      tremendously. Not to speak of that my old labels will probably be
      gone forever when I import my old mail to another program.

      I'm also picky about program interfaces. Nice, clean and simple is
      preferred. Classic. I can't stand these modern programs that look
      like web pages with text links instead of proper menus. It takes me
      forever to learn to navigate that type of interface. Typically all AV
      programs and Firewalls are like that. I want easy to recognize icons
      that don't all look the same and normal menus.

      I don't like the new open source Eudora, so that's no option as of now.

      I'm not THAT picky, really!

      TIA
      Lotta
    • Julie
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 28, 2012
        Hey Lotta,

        I've tried Outlook, I've tried Thunderbird.

        I'm a stick-in-the-mud still using Eudora v7.1.0.9..,

        So I am of absolutely no help!

        Sorry,
        Julie
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 28, 2012
          Hi Lotta: I'll recommend Thunderbird (been using it for about four
          years). I stopped updating at version 3.17 when Firefox +T'bird started
          bumping a major version every couple of weeks (or at least it seems that
          fast) just because I didn't want the hassle of wrestling with different
          versions of extensions.

          Most of what you want seems to be present in Thunderbird, including
          threading and the ability to set labels (ie. color the emails in list
          view) using filters or manually. It doesn't keep individual emails in
          separate files but all emails in a given folder are kept in a single
          file and when desired can be processed using any text editor (ie. Notetab).

          FWIW - when I used to use Outlook Express and before GMail came out I
          kept large archive ..DBX files to allow retrieval of old messages. I now
          use GMail and auto forward all received email to my POP3 ISP account,
          keeping only emails I know I'll need again and use GMail search otherwise.

          On 2012-11-28 17:43, loro wrote:
          > Eudora doesn't really cut it anymore. Before I start the tedious task
          > of installing and trying different email clients I thought I'd ask if
          > you guys have any recommendations. There used to be many Eudora users
          > here once.
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 28, 2012
            Hi Lotta,

            On 28 Nov 12 22:43 loro <tabbie@...> said:
            > Eudora doesn't really cut it anymore.

            # stored...in some text format.
            # Unix mailbox format would be nice,
            # I don't want emails and attachments baked together in a binary lump.
            # set the SMTP port for each account individually.
            # Unicode, of course

            # threaded view
            # program interfaces. Nice, clean and simple
            # easy to recognize icons
            # normal menus.

            Sounds like you need nPOPuk

            http://npopuk.org.uk/3.00/index.html

            Has everything on your list bar "labels".

            Also:
            # Portable.
            # Runs on almost any Windows platform from WinCE and WinMob to Win32
            # Fully customisable icons (Create your own!)
            # Use for favourite text editor to write/read mail
            # Plain text only! (with a few tricks to allow you to read HTML mail)

            There's lots more I could say!

            ...but then I'm biassed. I do the documentation!

            Greg Chapman
            http://npopuk.org.uk
            Supporting nPOPuk - the Portable E-Mail Client.
          • Don
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 28, 2012
              Ditto -- I like thunderbird, clean simple and can be configured. I use
              it in plain text mode and can click to html if I know the sender and
              wish to.

              On 11/28/2012 7:09 PM, Alec Burgess wrote:
              > Hi Lotta: I'll recommend Thunderbird (been using it for about four
              > years).
            • fw7oaks
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 29, 2012
                Agree that Thunderbird is worth a look, for something simpler have a peak at Postbox
                www.postbox-inc.com
                Not free, but probably worth $9,95
                HTH
                fw