Re: [NTO] Momentary Hangups

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 23, 2012
      Hi Larry,

      Thanks for your reply. All good ideas...

      I do regularly run Cleanup and occasionally also run CCleaner. This is my
      secondary PC so it doesn't contain any passwords and I don't care about the
      cookies.

      I defrag about once a month (done recently with no effect on the hangups).

      Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware, and Microsoft Security Essentials all find
      no malware. I run these applications one-at-a-time (never simultaneously).

      The newest application on that PC was installed months before I noticed
      this problem. To try to pinpoint the culprit, I have been booting up
      without any startup items (using MSCONFIG). Notetab runs continually on my
      primary PC, but on this problem PC, I close the editor (remove it from
      system tray) after each use.

      After the problem began, I ran the Registry clean-up utility in Glary
      Utilities. It reported fixing some entries, but the hangups continue as
      before. I take a backup of the Registry using ERUNT prior to and after any
      operation that could alter the Registry. One of the first corrective
      attempts when the problem began was to reinstall an early version of the
      Registry backup. It didn't help.

      To test a theory, I physically disconnected the PC from the internet and
      from the LAN. I still saw hangups with about the same frequency as before.

      If I can't fix the problem, I'll probably do a clean install of the Windows
      OS on the C: drive. Most of the data I care about is on separate physical
      D: and E: drives. The current OS is WinXP, and I've been thinking about
      getting Win7 for that PC anyway.

      Before I take the plunge, my fundamental question remains: besides Task
      Manager, can anyone suggest software to monitor utilization of memory, hard
      disk, and CPU? When hangups occur, the machine doesn't just get slow. all
      functions except the mouse movements, a few blips on the disk in-use light,
      and the Num Lock key freeze. Repeated clicks on any application window
      brings up the "Not responding" message. Then after a few seconds or a
      minute or two, all functions return to normal with no corrective action by
      me. Sometimes hangups occur in quick succession. Other times, the PC runs
      normally for 30 or 40 minutes. I haven't detected any pattern in the pauses.

      Thanks again for your help.

      Ray Shapp

    • Adrien Verlee
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 24, 2012
        Op 24/11/2012 6:25, Ray Shapp schreef:
        > Before I take the plunge, my fundamental question remains: besides Task
        > Manager, can anyone suggest software to monitor utilization of memory, hard
        > disk, and CPU? When hangups occur, the machine doesn't just get slow. all

        A wild idea.
        What do you think of a linux-live CD, to analyse the hardware, or any
        others from the CDs that exist in this field, like "ultimate boot cd" ?
        --
        Translatie > www.adrien-verlee.be
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 24, 2012
          Hi Adrien,

          Thanks for the reply.

          I ran the SpinRite disk analysis/repair tool in level 5 (most thorough).
          The three hard disks on that PC are all healthy.

          I have a copy of Hirin's Ultimate Boot CD. I'll look on it to see if it has
          any tools for memory and CPU monitoring that will run concurrently with
          WinXP.

          Thanks for the suggestion.

          Ray Shapp

          On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 3:53 AM, Adrien Verlee <adrien.verlee@...>wrote:

          > What do you think of a linux-live CD, to analyse the hardware,

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 24, 2012
            Hi
            have you tried moving your memory around into different slots or going down
            to one slot then two ??
            THANKYOU DAVE M