Re: [NTO] Momentary Hangups

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 23, 2012
      Hi
      does this happen when notetab is running by itself and nothing else ?
      this sort of thing is usually caused by to many programs running and there
      is not enough memory for them to run so they turn to the harddrive instead
      which is much slower.
      THANKYOU DAVE M

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 23, 2012
        Hi Dave,

        Thanks for the reply.

        Since this problem began, I have tried many strategies including running
        with a very light load on the machine. For about a week, I've been using
        MSCONFIG to boot up without loading any startup items. This PC contains 3
        gigs of RAM. In the past, it has handled a much heavier load of
        simultaneous applications with no hangups. Currently, when it goes into a
        pause, I can see that the hard disk indicator light on the system unit
        blips sporadically less than ten times a minute. The disks are not being
        used for memory overload.

        Besides Task Manager, can anyone suggest software to monitor utilization of
        memory, hard disk, and CPU?

        Ray Shapp

      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 23, 2012
          I suggest clearing temp files, using something like ccleaner. Just be
          careful with any cookies saving your passwords. Defragment after this. I
          have seen gigabytes of disk space freed up on some computers. Windows
          really should clear the temp directory on regular basis. There is no reason
          to keep temporary files for years.

          Malwarebytes is a good tool with a free version that can clean up a lot
          that regular anti-virus tools miss. You can download live CDs from various
          anti-virus companies and do a full scan of the computer in Safe Mode. Some
          viruses do a good job of hiding. If you can figure out what one of those
          is, you can Google for how to recover from it. (I recommend backing up your
          data and do a clean install of Windows if you find a virus like that. It
          ends up taking less time in a lot of cases.)

          Do you know what you have installed since it got slow? If so, you can
          uninstall those programs one at a time and re-boot after each one and see
          if that helps.

          If none of these things help, there may be something in the registry that
          is out of whack. I don't recommend rooting around there unless you have a
          good backup. Registry cleaning programs tend to not be a good idea.

          If all else fails, you can try restoring the registry from a known good
          point in time. All programs installed since then will need to be
          re-installed. That's less painful than installing Windows from scratch.

          HTH,

          ~ Larry

        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 23, 2012
            Hi Larry,

            Thanks for your reply. All good ideas...

            I do regularly run Cleanup and occasionally also run CCleaner. This is my
            secondary PC so it doesn't contain any passwords and I don't care about the
            cookies.

            I defrag about once a month (done recently with no effect on the hangups).

            Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware, and Microsoft Security Essentials all find
            no malware. I run these applications one-at-a-time (never simultaneously).

            The newest application on that PC was installed months before I noticed
            this problem. To try to pinpoint the culprit, I have been booting up
            without any startup items (using MSCONFIG). Notetab runs continually on my
            primary PC, but on this problem PC, I close the editor (remove it from
            system tray) after each use.

            After the problem began, I ran the Registry clean-up utility in Glary
            Utilities. It reported fixing some entries, but the hangups continue as
            before. I take a backup of the Registry using ERUNT prior to and after any
            operation that could alter the Registry. One of the first corrective
            attempts when the problem began was to reinstall an early version of the
            Registry backup. It didn't help.

            To test a theory, I physically disconnected the PC from the internet and
            from the LAN. I still saw hangups with about the same frequency as before.

            If I can't fix the problem, I'll probably do a clean install of the Windows
            OS on the C: drive. Most of the data I care about is on separate physical
            D: and E: drives. The current OS is WinXP, and I've been thinking about
            getting Win7 for that PC anyway.

            Before I take the plunge, my fundamental question remains: besides Task
            Manager, can anyone suggest software to monitor utilization of memory, hard
            disk, and CPU? When hangups occur, the machine doesn't just get slow. all
            functions except the mouse movements, a few blips on the disk in-use light,
            and the Num Lock key freeze. Repeated clicks on any application window
            brings up the "Not responding" message. Then after a few seconds or a
            minute or two, all functions return to normal with no corrective action by
            me. Sometimes hangups occur in quick succession. Other times, the PC runs
            normally for 30 or 40 minutes. I haven't detected any pattern in the pauses.

            Thanks again for your help.

            Ray Shapp

          • Adrien Verlee
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 24, 2012
              Op 24/11/2012 6:25, Ray Shapp schreef:
              > Before I take the plunge, my fundamental question remains: besides Task
              > Manager, can anyone suggest software to monitor utilization of memory, hard
              > disk, and CPU? When hangups occur, the machine doesn't just get slow. all

              A wild idea.
              What do you think of a linux-live CD, to analyse the hardware, or any
              others from the CDs that exist in this field, like "ultimate boot cd" ?
              --
              Translatie > www.adrien-verlee.be
            • Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 24, 2012
                Hi Adrien,

                Thanks for the reply.

                I ran the SpinRite disk analysis/repair tool in level 5 (most thorough).
                The three hard disks on that PC are all healthy.

                I have a copy of Hirin's Ultimate Boot CD. I'll look on it to see if it has
                any tools for memory and CPU monitoring that will run concurrently with
                WinXP.

                Thanks for the suggestion.

                Ray Shapp

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 24, 2012
                  Hi
                  have you tried moving your memory around into different slots or going down
                  to one slot then two ??
                  THANKYOU DAVE M