Momentary Hangups

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 22, 2012
      To All,

      My secondary PC has momentary hangups that last for a few seconds to
      several minutes. I have Task Manager continuously open and displaying CPU
      usage sorted with greatest user at the top of the list, but it doesn't show
      any process using an inordinate amount of time. The greatest time consumer
      is "System Idle Process" at about 95 to 99 percent. No process ties up more
      than 700MB or 800MB of memory. I also observe the disk drive in-use monitor
      light on the system unit and it shows only a few very short blips during
      both normal and hung-up operations.

      The PC isn't fully frozen during these hangups. The mouse is still active
      and I am able to change state of the Num Lock key, but I can't navigate
      within Windows Explorer or launch any applications or change views within
      them. Even Free Cell pauses.

      The machine contains 2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad processor and 3 gigs
      of DIMM memory running WinXP SP3 with all updates current. I have done a
      recent CHKDSK and a disk defrag. Microsoft Security Essentials updates
      every day and runs a full scan on all disks without reporting any malware.

      All operations on this computer appear to execute without errors. The only
      problem is the momentary pauses.

      Any ideas what is causing these hangups? Any further troubleshooting ideas?

      Thank you.

      Ray Shapp

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 23, 2012
        Hi
        does this happen when notetab is running by itself and nothing else ?
        this sort of thing is usually caused by to many programs running and there
        is not enough memory for them to run so they turn to the harddrive instead
        which is much slower.
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > My secondary PC has momentary hangups that last for a few seconds to
        > several minutes. I have Task Manager continuously open and displaying CPU
        > usage sorted with greatest user at the top of the list, but it doesn't
        > show
        > any process using an inordinate amount of time. The greatest time consumer
        > is "System Idle Process" at about 95 to 99 percent. No process ties up
        > more
        > than 700MB or 800MB of memory. I also observe the disk drive in-use
        > monitor
        > light on the system unit and it shows only a few very short blips during
        > both normal and hung-up operations.
        >
        > The PC isn't fully frozen during these hangups. The mouse is still active
        > and I am able to change state of the Num Lock key, but I can't navigate
        > within Windows Explorer or launch any applications or change views within
        > them. Even Free Cell pauses.
        >
        > The machine contains 2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad processor and 3 gigs
        > of DIMM memory running WinXP SP3 with all updates current. I have done a
        > recent CHKDSK and a disk defrag. Microsoft Security Essentials updates
        > every day and runs a full scan on all disks without reporting any malware.
        >
        > All operations on this computer appear to execute without errors. The only
        > problem is the momentary pauses.
        >
        > Any ideas what is causing these hangups? Any further troubleshooting
        > ideas?
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > Ray Shapp

      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 23, 2012
          Hi Dave,

          Thanks for the reply.

          Since this problem began, I have tried many strategies including running
          with a very light load on the machine. For about a week, I've been using
          MSCONFIG to boot up without loading any startup items. This PC contains 3
          gigs of RAM. In the past, it has handled a much heavier load of
          simultaneous applications with no hangups. Currently, when it goes into a
          pause, I can see that the hard disk indicator light on the system unit
          blips sporadically less than ten times a minute. The disks are not being
          used for memory overload.

          Besides Task Manager, can anyone suggest software to monitor utilization of
          memory, hard disk, and CPU?

          Ray Shapp

        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 23, 2012
            I suggest clearing temp files, using something like ccleaner. Just be
            careful with any cookies saving your passwords. Defragment after this. I
            have seen gigabytes of disk space freed up on some computers. Windows
            really should clear the temp directory on regular basis. There is no reason
            to keep temporary files for years.

            Malwarebytes is a good tool with a free version that can clean up a lot
            that regular anti-virus tools miss. You can download live CDs from various
            anti-virus companies and do a full scan of the computer in Safe Mode. Some
            viruses do a good job of hiding. If you can figure out what one of those
            is, you can Google for how to recover from it. (I recommend backing up your
            data and do a clean install of Windows if you find a virus like that. It
            ends up taking less time in a lot of cases.)

            Do you know what you have installed since it got slow? If so, you can
            uninstall those programs one at a time and re-boot after each one and see
            if that helps.

            If none of these things help, there may be something in the registry that
            is out of whack. I don't recommend rooting around there unless you have a
            good backup. Registry cleaning programs tend to not be a good idea.

            If all else fails, you can try restoring the registry from a known good
            point in time. All programs installed since then will need to be
            re-installed. That's less painful than installing Windows from scratch.

            HTH,

            ~ Larry

          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 23, 2012
              Hi Larry,

              Thanks for your reply. All good ideas...

              I do regularly run Cleanup and occasionally also run CCleaner. This is my
              secondary PC so it doesn't contain any passwords and I don't care about the
              cookies.

              I defrag about once a month (done recently with no effect on the hangups).

              Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware, and Microsoft Security Essentials all find
              no malware. I run these applications one-at-a-time (never simultaneously).

              The newest application on that PC was installed months before I noticed
              this problem. To try to pinpoint the culprit, I have been booting up
              without any startup items (using MSCONFIG). Notetab runs continually on my
              primary PC, but on this problem PC, I close the editor (remove it from
              system tray) after each use.

              After the problem began, I ran the Registry clean-up utility in Glary
              Utilities. It reported fixing some entries, but the hangups continue as
              before. I take a backup of the Registry using ERUNT prior to and after any
              operation that could alter the Registry. One of the first corrective
              attempts when the problem began was to reinstall an early version of the
              Registry backup. It didn't help.

              To test a theory, I physically disconnected the PC from the internet and
              from the LAN. I still saw hangups with about the same frequency as before.

              If I can't fix the problem, I'll probably do a clean install of the Windows
              OS on the C: drive. Most of the data I care about is on separate physical
              D: and E: drives. The current OS is WinXP, and I've been thinking about
              getting Win7 for that PC anyway.

              Before I take the plunge, my fundamental question remains: besides Task
              Manager, can anyone suggest software to monitor utilization of memory, hard
              disk, and CPU? When hangups occur, the machine doesn't just get slow. all
              functions except the mouse movements, a few blips on the disk in-use light,
              and the Num Lock key freeze. Repeated clicks on any application window
              brings up the "Not responding" message. Then after a few seconds or a
              minute or two, all functions return to normal with no corrective action by
              me. Sometimes hangups occur in quick succession. Other times, the PC runs
              normally for 30 or 40 minutes. I haven't detected any pattern in the pauses.

              Thanks again for your help.

              Ray Shapp

            • Adrien Verlee
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 24, 2012
                Op 24/11/2012 6:25, Ray Shapp schreef:
                > Before I take the plunge, my fundamental question remains: besides Task
                > Manager, can anyone suggest software to monitor utilization of memory, hard
                > disk, and CPU? When hangups occur, the machine doesn't just get slow. all

                A wild idea.
                What do you think of a linux-live CD, to analyse the hardware, or any
                others from the CDs that exist in this field, like "ultimate boot cd" ?
                --
                Translatie > www.adrien-verlee.be
              • Ray Shapp
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 24, 2012
                  Hi Adrien,

                  Thanks for the reply.

                  I ran the SpinRite disk analysis/repair tool in level 5 (most thorough).
                  The three hard disks on that PC are all healthy.

                  I have a copy of Hirin's Ultimate Boot CD. I'll look on it to see if it has
                  any tools for memory and CPU monitoring that will run concurrently with
                  WinXP.

                  Thanks for the suggestion.

                  Ray Shapp

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 24, 2012
                    Hi
                    have you tried moving your memory around into different slots or going down
                    to one slot then two ??
                    THANKYOU DAVE M