Re: [NTO] Do I have a 64 bit system?

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
      Lotta:
      You didn't say how much memory you have. AFAIK anything in excess of 3-4
      GB is wasted on WinXP-32bit.
      Maybe it would make sense to upgrade your OS to Win-7, add memory and
      see how you like it then? From Googling I think the price is somewhere
      sub-$150 here, not sure about Europe.

      On my WinXP 32bit system (w/3GB) doesn't have that upgrade possibility
      doesn't exist. Because I like to have so many programs tray resident and
      run a bunch of others semi-permanently I have regular problems with slow
      response time.

      Unless you have similar problems it might not be worth the bother though.

      On 2012-10-06 19:44, loro wrote:
      > Alex Plantema wrote:
      > >The 64 bit version of Windows XP was introduced much later than the
      > >32 bit version,
      > >there is only a professional version and only in English, and 64 bit
      > >drivers were hardly available.
      > >So it was actually of limited use.
      > >This was also a problem for Vista, its successor.
      >
      > Aha, Home is always 32 bit. That explains things. I actually chose
      > that myself, because of the price difference, but it was also what
      > the guy suggested. English is good though. I had to fight to get
      > Windows in English too (he couldn't find the English CD). I hate
      > dealing with two languages at the same time and also that keyboard
      > shortcuts differ depending on the language of the program I use, so I
      > get everything in English.

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 7, 2012
        Hi
        Windows loads everthing into ram first .
        If you did not have so many programs using ram it may run faster, you need
        more ram.
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 7, 2012
          loro wrote:
          > I'm a little angry with my computer guy who sold me a 32 bit OS,

          Don't be. People who use powerful text editors instead of knowing
          nothing but Microsoft Word are the very ones who still run small an
          efficient DOS tools now and then - at least I do. For most of us here,
          32 bit is the better choice.