Re: [NTO] Do I have a 64 bit system?

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
      Thank you, guys. Now I know what I have.

      I'm a little angry with my computer guy who sold me a 32 bit OS, but
      in reality it doesn't matter very much. I have this very nice little
      shop nearby where they build computers to your specification. The
      owner is great. Puts a lot of time on it and if you aren't updated on
      hardware, like me, he finds out for what you use the computer and
      what you might use it for in the future and suggests the appropriate
      parts. Never tries to sell you something you don't need. I actually
      had to argue to get as large hard drives as I wanted, he thought less
      would do. I could probably get a machine a little cheaper if I looked
      for bargains, but not with the sense of security and satisfaction it
      gives me to shop at this place. This is actually the first thing I'm
      not totally pleased with - and it took me years to discover it, so no
      regrets. The first machine I've been really pleased with, so I think
      I'll forgive him.

      Thanks again
      Lotta
    • Alex Plantema
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
        Op zaterdag 6 oktober 2012 22:34 schreef loro:

        > I'm a little angry with my computer guy who sold me a 32 bit OS

        The 64 bit version of Windows XP was introduced much later than the 32 bit version,
        there is only a professional version and only in English, and 64 bit drivers were hardly available.
        So it was actually of limited use.
        This was also a problem for Vista, its successor.

        Alex.
      • Jeffery Scism
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
          On 10/6/2012 3:03 PM, Alex Plantema wrote:
          > Op zaterdag 6 oktober 2012 22:34 schreef loro:
          >
          >> >I'm a little angry with my computer guy who sold me a 32 bit OS
          > The 64 bit version of Windows XP was introduced much later than the 32 bit version,
          > there is only a professional version and only in English, and 64 bit drivers were hardly available.
          > So it was actually of limited use.
          > This was also a problem for Vista, its successor.
          >
          > Alex.
          At GREAT expense I am back to Win 7, 64 bit.

          Taking Win 8 out was IMPOSSIBLE so I had to buy a new HD. Even
          reformatting would not allow the HD to operate.

          NOW my NoteTab is finally working.
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
            Alex Plantema wrote:
            >The 64 bit version of Windows XP was introduced much later than the
            >32 bit version,
            >there is only a professional version and only in English, and 64 bit
            >drivers were hardly available.
            >So it was actually of limited use.
            >This was also a problem for Vista, its successor.

            Aha, Home is always 32 bit. That explains things. I actually chose
            that myself, because of the price difference, but it was also what
            the guy suggested. English is good though. I had to fight to get
            Windows in English too (he couldn't find the English CD). I hate
            dealing with two languages at the same time and also that keyboard
            shortcuts differ depending on the language of the program I use, so I
            get everything in English.

            Lotta
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
              Lotta:
              You didn't say how much memory you have. AFAIK anything in excess of 3-4
              GB is wasted on WinXP-32bit.
              Maybe it would make sense to upgrade your OS to Win-7, add memory and
              see how you like it then? From Googling I think the price is somewhere
              sub-$150 here, not sure about Europe.

              On my WinXP 32bit system (w/3GB) doesn't have that upgrade possibility
              doesn't exist. Because I like to have so many programs tray resident and
              run a bunch of others semi-permanently I have regular problems with slow
              response time.

              Unless you have similar problems it might not be worth the bother though.

              On 2012-10-06 19:44, loro wrote:
              > Alex Plantema wrote:
              > >The 64 bit version of Windows XP was introduced much later than the
              > >32 bit version,
              > >there is only a professional version and only in English, and 64 bit
              > >drivers were hardly available.
              > >So it was actually of limited use.
              > >This was also a problem for Vista, its successor.
              >
              > Aha, Home is always 32 bit. That explains things. I actually chose
              > that myself, because of the price difference, but it was also what
              > the guy suggested. English is good though. I had to fight to get
              > Windows in English too (he couldn't find the English CD). I hate
              > dealing with two languages at the same time and also that keyboard
              > shortcuts differ depending on the language of the program I use, so I
              > get everything in English.

            • Dave
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 7, 2012
                Hi
                Windows loads everthing into ram first .
                If you did not have so many programs using ram it may run faster, you need
                more ram.
                THANKYOU DAVE M

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 7, 2012
                  loro wrote:
                  > I'm a little angry with my computer guy who sold me a 32 bit OS,

                  Don't be. People who use powerful text editors instead of knowing
                  nothing but Microsoft Word are the very ones who still run small an
                  efficient DOS tools now and then - at least I do. For most of us here,
                  32 bit is the better choice.