Re: [NTO] Do I have a 64 bit system?

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

      > At 02:30 2012-10-06, john041650 wrote:
      > >Windows XP:
      > > Click Start.
      > > Right-click My Computer.
      > > Choose Properties from the context menu.
      > > Look just below the "Microsoft Windows XP" label for the
      > > particular edition of XP (for example, "Professional x64 Edition"
      > > or "Home"). If the edition contains the word "x64" then your
      > > machine has a 64-bit version of Windows XP."
      >
      > Nuh. It just says XP Home. So I have a 64 bit processor and a 32 bit
      > OS? I guess that means I can't run 64 bit programs?
      >
      > Lotta

      I have no personal experience with this but I recently read that if your motherboard supports hardware virtualization and it is enabled in bios, you can install a 64-bit operating system (to run 64-bit apps) in virtualbox on a 32-bit host. As best I understand it, it would run as a window on your 32-bit host desktop. Also, someone with a 64-bit host could have a 32 bit guest OS. Either host could support 64 and 32-bit guests. Virtualbox is freely available from Oracle. The operating systems you install in it could be a free ones like Ubuntu or a licenced or trial versions of 64-bit Windows 7 or 8. How well it would work likely depends on how much and how fast your memory and disks are. Its probably better to have a 64-bit host system since 64-bit systems can have more memory than 32-bit systems but might still be worth trying if you meet the minimum requirements.

      Regards,
      Sheri
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
        Thank you, guys. Now I know what I have.

        I'm a little angry with my computer guy who sold me a 32 bit OS, but
        in reality it doesn't matter very much. I have this very nice little
        shop nearby where they build computers to your specification. The
        owner is great. Puts a lot of time on it and if you aren't updated on
        hardware, like me, he finds out for what you use the computer and
        what you might use it for in the future and suggests the appropriate
        parts. Never tries to sell you something you don't need. I actually
        had to argue to get as large hard drives as I wanted, he thought less
        would do. I could probably get a machine a little cheaper if I looked
        for bargains, but not with the sense of security and satisfaction it
        gives me to shop at this place. This is actually the first thing I'm
        not totally pleased with - and it took me years to discover it, so no
        regrets. The first machine I've been really pleased with, so I think
        I'll forgive him.

        Thanks again
        Lotta
      • Alex Plantema
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
          Op zaterdag 6 oktober 2012 22:34 schreef loro:

          > I'm a little angry with my computer guy who sold me a 32 bit OS

          The 64 bit version of Windows XP was introduced much later than the 32 bit version,
          there is only a professional version and only in English, and 64 bit drivers were hardly available.
          So it was actually of limited use.
          This was also a problem for Vista, its successor.

          Alex.
        • Jeffery Scism
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
            On 10/6/2012 3:03 PM, Alex Plantema wrote:
            > Op zaterdag 6 oktober 2012 22:34 schreef loro:
            >
            >> >I'm a little angry with my computer guy who sold me a 32 bit OS
            > The 64 bit version of Windows XP was introduced much later than the 32 bit version,
            > there is only a professional version and only in English, and 64 bit drivers were hardly available.
            > So it was actually of limited use.
            > This was also a problem for Vista, its successor.
            >
            > Alex.
            At GREAT expense I am back to Win 7, 64 bit.

            Taking Win 8 out was IMPOSSIBLE so I had to buy a new HD. Even
            reformatting would not allow the HD to operate.

            NOW my NoteTab is finally working.
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
              Alex Plantema wrote:
              >The 64 bit version of Windows XP was introduced much later than the
              >32 bit version,
              >there is only a professional version and only in English, and 64 bit
              >drivers were hardly available.
              >So it was actually of limited use.
              >This was also a problem for Vista, its successor.

              Aha, Home is always 32 bit. That explains things. I actually chose
              that myself, because of the price difference, but it was also what
              the guy suggested. English is good though. I had to fight to get
              Windows in English too (he couldn't find the English CD). I hate
              dealing with two languages at the same time and also that keyboard
              shortcuts differ depending on the language of the program I use, so I
              get everything in English.

              Lotta
            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
                Lotta:
                You didn't say how much memory you have. AFAIK anything in excess of 3-4
                GB is wasted on WinXP-32bit.
                Maybe it would make sense to upgrade your OS to Win-7, add memory and
                see how you like it then? From Googling I think the price is somewhere
                sub-$150 here, not sure about Europe.

                On my WinXP 32bit system (w/3GB) doesn't have that upgrade possibility
                doesn't exist. Because I like to have so many programs tray resident and
                run a bunch of others semi-permanently I have regular problems with slow
                response time.

                Unless you have similar problems it might not be worth the bother though.

                On 2012-10-06 19:44, loro wrote:
                > Alex Plantema wrote:
                > >The 64 bit version of Windows XP was introduced much later than the
                > >32 bit version,
                > >there is only a professional version and only in English, and 64 bit
                > >drivers were hardly available.
                > >So it was actually of limited use.
                > >This was also a problem for Vista, its successor.
                >
                > Aha, Home is always 32 bit. That explains things. I actually chose
                > that myself, because of the price difference, but it was also what
                > the guy suggested. English is good though. I had to fight to get
                > Windows in English too (he couldn't find the English CD). I hate
                > dealing with two languages at the same time and also that keyboard
                > shortcuts differ depending on the language of the program I use, so I
                > get everything in English.

              • Dave
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 7, 2012
                  Hi
                  Windows loads everthing into ram first .
                  If you did not have so many programs using ram it may run faster, you need
                  more ram.
                  THANKYOU DAVE M

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 7, 2012
                    loro wrote:
                    > I'm a little angry with my computer guy who sold me a 32 bit OS,

                    Don't be. People who use powerful text editors instead of knowing
                    nothing but Microsoft Word are the very ones who still run small an
                    efficient DOS tools now and then - at least I do. For most of us here,
                    32 bit is the better choice.