Re: Do I have a 64 bit system?

  • john041650
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 5, 2012
      The following was snagged from the fastpictureviewer web site.

      How do I know whether my version of Windows is 32-bit or 64-bit?

      Windows 7 or Windows Vista:
      Click Start.
      Right-click Computer.
      Choose Properties from the context menu.
      In the "System" section, look for "System Type." It will say either "32-bit Operating System" or "64-bit Operating System."

      Windows XP:
      Click Start.
      Right-click My Computer.
      Choose Properties from the context menu.
      Look just below the "Microsoft Windows XP" label for the particular edition of XP (for example, "Professional x64 Edition" or "Home"). If the edition contains the word "x64" then your machine has a 64-bit version of Windows XP."

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 5, 2012
        At 02:30 2012-10-06, john041650 wrote:
        >Windows XP:
        > Click Start.
        > Right-click My Computer.
        > Choose Properties from the context menu.
        > Look just below the "Microsoft Windows XP" label for the
        > particular edition of XP (for example, "Professional x64 Edition"
        > or "Home"). If the edition contains the word "x64" then your
        > machine has a 64-bit version of Windows XP."

        Nuh. It just says XP Home. So I have a 64 bit processor and a 32 bit
        OS? I guess that means I can't run 64 bit programs?

        Lotta
      • Adrien Verlee
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
          Op 6/10/2012 2:42, loro schreef:
          > Nuh. It just says XP Home. So I have a 64 bit processor and a 32 bit
          > OS? I guess that means I can't run 64 bit programs?

          Hey Lotto, did you look at Wikipedia? Maybe you find an answer?
          http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD64
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

          And this is Dutch, but would also exist in Swedish or English:
          http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

          But if you do a search on "32 bit os running 64 bit programs", I'm
          afraid you can't.

          --
          adrien

          - Ongedeelde informatie = verloren informatie -
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
            On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 8:42 PM, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

            > Nuh. It just says XP Home. So I have a 64 bit processor and a 32 bit
            > OS? I guess that means I can't run 64 bit programs?
            >
            > Lotta

            Hey Lotta,

            64-bit hardware can run 32-bit OS, but 32-bit OS can't do 64-bit software.
            But 64-bit OS can do 32-bit software.

            It is the same thing that happened when processors went from 8-bit to
            16-bit and 16-bit to 32-bit.

            Unlike other versions of Windows, 64-bit Windows no longer supports DOS
            programs. The familiar Edit is not there in 64-bit Windows for example.

            However, the command line is still there, so those who don't know the
            difference between DOS and the command line, will be confused.

            I deal with this at work all the time, since we still have some legacy DOS
            apps and clients go out and buy a new computer and then wonder why they
            programs don't run.

            What I have round is the best was to clarify whether you have 32-bit or
            64-bit OS if the message you get is not clear is to look at the C:\ drive.

            If you only see a "Program Files" directory, then your OS is 32-bit

            However, if you see both a "Program Files" and a "Program Files (x86)" then
            you have 64-bit Windows.

            "Program Files (x86)" is where Microsoft puts 32-bit programs since 64-bit
            OSes can run 32-bit programs.

            HTH,

            ~ Larry

            PS - I got a new Laptop at work that is 64-bit Windows. I have the "joy" of
            supporting those legacy apps, so I use DOSBox to run them so I can see the
            menus to walk clients through procedures, since I don't have those menus
            memorized. I also run WinXP in a virtual machine for the older version of
            our Windows software that does not run on newer then WinXP and definitely
            not on 64-bit. Between the two groups of clients, that's about 40 clients.
            Someday they will move into the 90's. :)

          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
              --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

              > At 02:30 2012-10-06, john041650 wrote:
              > >Windows XP:
              > > Click Start.
              > > Right-click My Computer.
              > > Choose Properties from the context menu.
              > > Look just below the "Microsoft Windows XP" label for the
              > > particular edition of XP (for example, "Professional x64 Edition"
              > > or "Home"). If the edition contains the word "x64" then your
              > > machine has a 64-bit version of Windows XP."
              >
              > Nuh. It just says XP Home. So I have a 64 bit processor and a 32 bit
              > OS? I guess that means I can't run 64 bit programs?
              >
              > Lotta

              I have no personal experience with this but I recently read that if your motherboard supports hardware virtualization and it is enabled in bios, you can install a 64-bit operating system (to run 64-bit apps) in virtualbox on a 32-bit host. As best I understand it, it would run as a window on your 32-bit host desktop. Also, someone with a 64-bit host could have a 32 bit guest OS. Either host could support 64 and 32-bit guests. Virtualbox is freely available from Oracle. The operating systems you install in it could be a free ones like Ubuntu or a licenced or trial versions of 64-bit Windows 7 or 8. How well it would work likely depends on how much and how fast your memory and disks are. Its probably better to have a 64-bit host system since 64-bit systems can have more memory than 32-bit systems but might still be worth trying if you meet the minimum requirements.

              Regards,
              Sheri
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
                Thank you, guys. Now I know what I have.

                I'm a little angry with my computer guy who sold me a 32 bit OS, but
                in reality it doesn't matter very much. I have this very nice little
                shop nearby where they build computers to your specification. The
                owner is great. Puts a lot of time on it and if you aren't updated on
                hardware, like me, he finds out for what you use the computer and
                what you might use it for in the future and suggests the appropriate
                parts. Never tries to sell you something you don't need. I actually
                had to argue to get as large hard drives as I wanted, he thought less
                would do. I could probably get a machine a little cheaper if I looked
                for bargains, but not with the sense of security and satisfaction it
                gives me to shop at this place. This is actually the first thing I'm
                not totally pleased with - and it took me years to discover it, so no
                regrets. The first machine I've been really pleased with, so I think
                I'll forgive him.

                Thanks again
                Lotta
              • Alex Plantema
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
                  Op zaterdag 6 oktober 2012 22:34 schreef loro:

                  > I'm a little angry with my computer guy who sold me a 32 bit OS

                  The 64 bit version of Windows XP was introduced much later than the 32 bit version,
                  there is only a professional version and only in English, and 64 bit drivers were hardly available.
                  So it was actually of limited use.
                  This was also a problem for Vista, its successor.

                  Alex.
                • Jeffery Scism
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
                    On 10/6/2012 3:03 PM, Alex Plantema wrote:
                    > Op zaterdag 6 oktober 2012 22:34 schreef loro:
                    >
                    >> >I'm a little angry with my computer guy who sold me a 32 bit OS
                    > The 64 bit version of Windows XP was introduced much later than the 32 bit version,
                    > there is only a professional version and only in English, and 64 bit drivers were hardly available.
                    > So it was actually of limited use.
                    > This was also a problem for Vista, its successor.
                    >
                    > Alex.
                    At GREAT expense I am back to Win 7, 64 bit.

                    Taking Win 8 out was IMPOSSIBLE so I had to buy a new HD. Even
                    reformatting would not allow the HD to operate.

                    NOW my NoteTab is finally working.
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
                      Alex Plantema wrote:
                      >The 64 bit version of Windows XP was introduced much later than the
                      >32 bit version,
                      >there is only a professional version and only in English, and 64 bit
                      >drivers were hardly available.
                      >So it was actually of limited use.
                      >This was also a problem for Vista, its successor.

                      Aha, Home is always 32 bit. That explains things. I actually chose
                      that myself, because of the price difference, but it was also what
                      the guy suggested. English is good though. I had to fight to get
                      Windows in English too (he couldn't find the English CD). I hate
                      dealing with two languages at the same time and also that keyboard
                      shortcuts differ depending on the language of the program I use, so I
                      get everything in English.

                      Lotta
                    • Alec Burgess
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 6, 2012
                        Lotta:
                        You didn't say how much memory you have. AFAIK anything in excess of 3-4
                        GB is wasted on WinXP-32bit.
                        Maybe it would make sense to upgrade your OS to Win-7, add memory and
                        see how you like it then? From Googling I think the price is somewhere
                        sub-$150 here, not sure about Europe.

                        On my WinXP 32bit system (w/3GB) doesn't have that upgrade possibility
                        doesn't exist. Because I like to have so many programs tray resident and
                        run a bunch of others semi-permanently I have regular problems with slow
                        response time.

                        Unless you have similar problems it might not be worth the bother though.

                        On 2012-10-06 19:44, loro wrote:
                        > Alex Plantema wrote:
                        > >The 64 bit version of Windows XP was introduced much later than the
                        > >32 bit version,
                        > >there is only a professional version and only in English, and 64 bit
                        > >drivers were hardly available.
                        > >So it was actually of limited use.
                        > >This was also a problem for Vista, its successor.
                        >
                        > Aha, Home is always 32 bit. That explains things. I actually chose
                        > that myself, because of the price difference, but it was also what
                        > the guy suggested. English is good though. I had to fight to get
                        > Windows in English too (he couldn't find the English CD). I hate
                        > dealing with two languages at the same time and also that keyboard
                        > shortcuts differ depending on the language of the program I use, so I
                        > get everything in English.

                      • Dave
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 7, 2012
                          Hi
                          Windows loads everthing into ram first .
                          If you did not have so many programs using ram it may run faster, you need
                          more ram.
                          THANKYOU DAVE M

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 7, 2012
                            loro wrote:
                            > I'm a little angry with my computer guy who sold me a 32 bit OS,

                            Don't be. People who use powerful text editors instead of knowing
                            nothing but Microsoft Word are the very ones who still run small an
                            efficient DOS tools now and then - at least I do. For most of us here,
                            32 bit is the better choice.