Re: [NTO] everything's free

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 23, 2012
      Hi Axel,

      On 23 Sep 12 16:03 Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> said:
      > I host all my files and my blog on my own webspace, which I pay a
      > modest price for. But sites like wordpress.com and some file hosters
      > seem to be completely free without even (at my settings, that are
      > nothing special) any advertising I can see.

      I'm not a WordPress user but this page suggests that their free sites
      do have adverts.
      https://signup.wordpress.com/signup/
      (Scroll to to the bottom and see the Upgrade chart. As to how
      intrusive those ads are, I have no idea!)

      Greg
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 23, 2012
        Hi Axel,

        On 23 Sep 12 16:03 Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> said:
        > But sites like wordpress.com and some file hosters seem to be
        > completely free without even (at my settings, that are nothing
        > special) any advertising I can see.

        And this page:
        http://en.support.wordpress.com/upgrades/
        may explain why you haven't seen any ads yet...

        -----------------
        No-ads
        We sometimes run discreet advertisements on your blog to users who
        aren’t logged in and aren’t regular visitors. Purchasing the No-Ads
        upgrade will eliminate any ads on your blog so no one sees them at
        all. This is especially useful for business blogs. This upgrade costs
        $30.00 per blog, per year.
        -----------------

        Maybe you don't see the ads as you are logged in, so get a fglase
        impression of what visitors see, or maybe WordPress waits until you
        have invested a massive effort until you have got your blog going, so
        then you feel it's worth the $30pa to keep it ad-free.

        I found both my bits of info from the page:
        http://en.wordpress.com/features/
        in a prargraph that read:

        Doesn’t Cost a Dime

        Build a great site and spend nothing, zilch, nada. And if you want to
        make a great site even better, we offer a great selection of premium
        upgrades.

        And that I reached from the home page and a link at the bottom "Free
        features".

        Greg