everything's free

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 23, 2012
      I host all my files and my blog on my own webspace, which I pay a modest
      price for. But sites like wordpress.com and some file hosters seem to be
      completely free without even (at my settings, that are nothing special)
      any advertising I can see.

      Can anybody tell me how these sites are financed? All I know is, that in
      this world there's no such thing as a free lunch. (And no such thing as
      free alteration of suits. As a late elderly friend used to say: Those
      signs are wrong. What they really mean is, here you'll have to pay for
      the alteration whether you need it or not.)

      Danke

      Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 23, 2012
        Hi Axel,

        On 23 Sep 12 16:03 Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> said:
        > I host all my files and my blog on my own webspace, which I pay a
        > modest price for. But sites like wordpress.com and some file hosters
        > seem to be completely free without even (at my settings, that are
        > nothing special) any advertising I can see.

        I'm not a WordPress user but this page suggests that their free sites
        do have adverts.
        https://signup.wordpress.com/signup/
        (Scroll to to the bottom and see the Upgrade chart. As to how
        intrusive those ads are, I have no idea!)

        Greg
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 23, 2012
          Hi Axel,

          On 23 Sep 12 16:03 Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> said:
          > But sites like wordpress.com and some file hosters seem to be
          > completely free without even (at my settings, that are nothing
          > special) any advertising I can see.

          And this page:
          http://en.support.wordpress.com/upgrades/
          may explain why you haven't seen any ads yet...

          -----------------
          No-ads
          We sometimes run discreet advertisements on your blog to users who
          aren’t logged in and aren’t regular visitors. Purchasing the No-Ads
          upgrade will eliminate any ads on your blog so no one sees them at
          all. This is especially useful for business blogs. This upgrade costs
          $30.00 per blog, per year.
          -----------------

          Maybe you don't see the ads as you are logged in, so get a fglase
          impression of what visitors see, or maybe WordPress waits until you
          have invested a massive effort until you have got your blog going, so
          then you feel it's worth the $30pa to keep it ad-free.

          I found both my bits of info from the page:
          http://en.wordpress.com/features/
          in a prargraph that read:

          Doesn’t Cost a Dime

          Build a great site and spend nothing, zilch, nada. And if you want to
          make a great site even better, we offer a great selection of premium
          upgrades.

          And that I reached from the home page and a link at the bottom "Free
          features".

          Greg