Re: [NTO] Word processor formatting code

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 18, 2012
      Hi Mike,

      On 18 Jul 12 14:55 Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      <mike@...> said:
      > > I think it's for the 'Enter' key on the computer.
      > > Probably means new line or carriage return?

      There's no OR about it! The difference in paragraph and line end
      symbols is highly significant!

      For reasons lost in word processing history, unlike a typewriter, the
      default action of a word processor when hitting the carriage return
      key is the insert an "end of paragraph" code into a document.

      Paragraphs are a vitally important concept within word processing (or
      web design) because they can be styled as a distinct block of text.

      It is a huge disadvantage to the modern word processor operator that
      to help old fashioned typists, when word processors were first
      introduced, that the default setting for paragraph styling in word
      processors is to have no line space above. This allowed typists to do
      their traditional thing and hit the carriage return twice when they
      wanted a new paragraph.

      For the modern user this has the major disadvantage that it leaves an
      empty paragraph following every paragraph. (In some ways it was an
      understandable decision when only daisy wheel printers were available
      and playing with fonts, font-size and other features of the modern
      word processor didn't exist.) The bent arrow symbol is indeed an "end
      of line" mark as distinct from an "end of paragraph" and it is a very
      useful feature.

      For example, when constructing a letterhead, you might want the
      address to be styled as a single block of text, instead of five or six
      separate paragraphs. Hitting SHIFT-CR on any modern word processor
      will insert a new line code and allows the block of text to be treated
      as a single paragraph - which it surely is, in any semantic sense.

      There's one other (these days, standard) keystroke that is equally
      vital for any word processor operator to know and that is CTRL-CR
      which inserts an "end of page" code in the document.

      NoteTab does recognise the CTRL-CR keystroke to insert an "end of
      page" mark, but paragraphs are an alien concept to a text editor, so
      it only only inserts "end of line" codes when you hit the CR key (the
      same as it does when hitting SHIFT-CR).

      Greg
    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 18, 2012
        Hi Greg,
        Thanks for you insight into this.

        This cropped up when I composed and email in Thunderbird and then pasted
        it into MS Word.
        This replaced all the paragraph codes with the line break code.

        If I first paste into NT then copy and paste from NT into Word, this
        does not happen. But, of coarse I lose any styling or hyperlinks by
        doing this.

        You point about what a paragraph is I had not really thought much about.
        I just do what I think is appropriate, but I will think more about what
        a paragraph actually is and start thinking more about using line breaks
        where appropriate.
        -Mike